Unable to safely remove USB external drive

Old March 20th 08, 10:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
larry8

Default Unable to safely remove USB external drive

When I try to disconnect my external usb drive I get the following message.

" Windows can't stop your Generic volume device because it is in use. Close
any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again
later."

I have no programs running that would be accessing the USB external drive
that I know of. Is there some way to find out what program is accessing it?
I have things in the back ground like Windows Onecare who uses that drive to
back up my files, but happens in the middle of the night.

--
Larry
Old March 20th 08, 11:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave T.[_2_]

larry8 wrote:
When I try to disconnect my external usb drive I get the following message.

" Windows can't stop your Generic volume device because it is in use. Close
any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again
later."

I have no programs running that would be accessing the USB external drive
that I know of. Is there some way to find out what program is accessing it?
I have things in the back ground like Windows Onecare who uses that drive to
back up my files, but happens in the middle of the night.

I have experienced this same problem whenever any copy of windows
explorer or "computer" is open. Make sure these windows are closed, and
try it from the taskbar icon.

--
Dave T.

"Your attitude serves as a lens through which you see life, and it's
best when that lens is focused on the positive possibilities." - Ralph
Marston
Old March 21st 08, 01:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
larry8

Yep, I did a test after you message and closed down internet explorer, and
then i could safely disconnect the USB external drive. Then I loaded up a
copy of internet exploerer with no addon enabled and I could also safely
disconnect the drive. So that means that one of the addons is always trying
to make contract with the usb drive. It will probably be easier to close
down internet explorer and then do the hardware disconnect feature.
--
Larry

Old March 21st 08, 10:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave T.[_2_]

larry8 wrote:
Yep, I did a test after you message and closed down internet explorer, and
then i could safely disconnect the USB external drive. Then I loaded up a
copy of internet exploerer with no addon enabled and I could also safely
disconnect the drive. So that means that one of the addons is always trying
to make contract with the usb drive. It will probably be easier to close
down internet explorer and then do the hardware disconnect feature.

Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for posting back.

Dave T.
Old July 7th 09, 05:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
steventhompson77

Dave T.;3615684 Wrote:
larry8 wrote:
[...]

naevius usb antivirus can remove devices safely and close windows
automatically.

http://www.naevius.com/files/usb_antivirus.jpg

offical website is naevius.com

--