How do I explicitly cause a UAC elevation prompt?

Old September 5th 06, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kevin Southern

Default How do I explicitly cause a UAC elevation prompt?

I am writing an application that needs to run from a CD without undergoing an
installation of any software to the user's system. I need administrative
rights to the machine, since I will need to install drivers as part of my
operation. However, I have the following constraints:

1) I do not want to assemble and maintain an MSI installer.
2) I need to run on an "out of the box" WinXP-SP2 & Win2k, so cannot use .NET

As of now, the following are the only ways to trigger an elevation prompt
that I'm aware of. I've listed why I don't believe it will work for me:

1) Move privileged code into a COM object and use CoCreateInstanceAsAdmin
The problem with this approach is that I cannot register the object
without writing and running a separate MSI package. I really would prefer to
avoid having to write or maintain that.

2) Change the name of the application to include the word SETUP or INSTALL
First, this will make the name of my application strange. More
importantly, I don't want to be subject to Microsoft changing the rules
regarding recognition of an application containing the name SETUP or INSTALL.

3) Add information to the application manifest to indicate that
administrative privileges are required.
As mentioned above, I cannot be dependent on .NET.

Does anyone know how to deterministically cause the elevation prompt to
appear? Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.
Old September 6th 06, 01:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jimmy Brush

Hello,

The manifest file does not create a dependency on .NET - this is just a
Win32 resource file that is embedded into your exe.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvis...cProtVista.asp

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Old September 7th 06, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kevin Southern

Fantastic! I'll give this a try. Thanks for the response.