.mov videos don't work in Vista, can't convert

Old September 1st 09, 08:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
megasuperchief

Default .mov videos don't work in Vista, can't convert

I have to agree with the original post. MS simply needs to make Movie
Maker work with .MOV files. Canon cameras have now made the switch as
well, to .MOV formats for their new cameras. I paid a good price for the
new Canon SX1-IS, which is an incredible still camera, and an even
better HD video camera. I have been using Movie Maker since it first
came out, I love the user friendly layout, and have made some really
good home movies with it. But now, I am forced to find, and learn
something else if I want my new HD movies to look good and work.

It is my understanding that while it is possible to convert a .MOV file
into something that Movie Maker will understand. The converting itself
lessens the quality of the video picture. Which makes buying an HD
camera kinda pointless. And, who has time to go through an extra step in
a different program, before actually getting to movie maker. Not me.

Come on Microsoft, If every other editing program out there can work
with .MOV, Then surely you are smart enough to make it work with Movie
Maker.

--
megasuperchief
Old September 1st 09, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

The new Windows Live Movie Maker handles MOV files.
--
PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org

Old September 25th 09, 06:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
joiuy

You need to install quicktime or install video codec for mov.

--
joiuy
Old September 25th 09, 06:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
joiuy

Old September 25th 09, 06:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
CrucialHoax

Simple solution. I've used this freeware before. Works great.

'Any Video Converter - Free software downloads and software reviews -
CNET Download.com'
(http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-C...html?tag=mncol)

--
CrucialHoax

Old February 7th 10, 05:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
66monks[_2_]

They did but they don't now - now there are frustrated people who say they
don't work in Windows Live Movie Maker when they do.

Must go. Ihear the tea lady.
--
There are no foolish questions; only fools who don''t ask them.

"Silverwire" wrote:

My Olympus FE190 & Nikon cameras use .mov video format. My HPm7750n Vista Hm
Premium OS w/media cntr pkg (WMP, WMC, NVIDIA 6150LE, WMM 6.0.6, Muvee
Autoproducer 5.0, Creator Basic V9-Roxio) all totally useless pieces of junk
for videos because none use .mov files and Vista can't convert.

I googled, read many forums incl. this 1 & find 1000s of users have same
problem. So far, no successful solution. Some claim to have codecs, updates,
other fixes but downloaders all complain of buffer overruns, lost audio, poor
quality, or just don't work in Vista, incl. Creator V10.

Microsoft needs to bite the Apple (bullet) & make a deal with Quicktime to
get a conversion program that WORKS in Vista as "fix" so we can use this
over-priced, ego-inflated, misrepresented OS to "Access your music, videos
and photos" as it claims on the front of my PC. I feel like I was scammed by
ads and salesmen when I bought PC last year.

Anybody else out there interested in complaining on every forum possible to
get Microsoft moving on a solution? Is MS already working on this? I just
want to be able to make movies and use the features I paid lots of money for!

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...pictures_video