.mov videos don't work in Vista, can't convert

Old March 21st 08, 07:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Silverwire

Default .mov videos don't work in Vista, can't convert

My Olympus FE190 & Nikon cameras use .mov video format. My HPm7750n Vista Hm
Premium OS w/media cntr pkg (WMP, WMC, NVIDIA 6150LE, WMM 6.0.6, Muvee
Autoproducer 5.0, Creator Basic V9-Roxio) all totally useless pieces of junk
for videos because none use .mov files and Vista can't convert.

I googled, read many forums incl. this 1 & find 1000s of users have same
problem. So far, no successful solution. Some claim to have codecs, updates,
other fixes but downloaders all complain of buffer overruns, lost audio, poor
quality, or just don't work in Vista, incl. Creator V10.

Microsoft needs to bite the Apple (bullet) & make a deal with Quicktime to
get a conversion program that WORKS in Vista as "fix" so we can use this
over-priced, ego-inflated, misrepresented OS to "Access your music, videos
and photos" as it claims on the front of my PC. I feel like I was scammed by
ads and salesmen when I bought PC last year.

Anybody else out there interested in complaining on every forum possible to
get Microsoft moving on a solution? Is MS already working on this? I just
want to be able to make movies and use the features I paid lots of money for!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...pictures_video
Old March 21st 08, 09:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Edward[_5_]

Google search on 'convert mov' gives 696000 hits, still nothing there?

"Silverwire" schreef in bericht

Old March 21st 08, 02:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bob

Do you also complain that you can't use a hammer to cook eggs?!

Download and install QuickTime
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Old March 21st 08, 02:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Bob F.[_5_]

"Silverwire" ,
Sometimes it's not obvious as to what's going on here. We are dealing with
some inter-company turf rights involving ipr and royalty agreement(s). The
simplest solution is for the customer to to add the free additions as they
are needed. For the comanpanies to get together and integrate them for
you...we that's just asking too much. That's American business for you. ;-)

--
Regards, BobF.
"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then

Old March 21st 08, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Dave

QuickTime pro

Nero 8

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software.htm

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Old March 21st 08, 03:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

My website's Import Movie Source Files Video MOV page has a section
about converting them... with 3 conversion tools I haven't checked in Vista
yet.

3rd on my list is the new Expression Media Encoder, which I know converts
MOV files fine on XP. The app runs well on Vista but I haven't tried
converting MOV files yet in the Vista environment.

Good idea, something to check.

PapaJohn (MVP)

Old March 21st 08, 08:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

I did a fresh install of Vista Premium SP1 last night, and just tested the
new Expression Encoder 2 beta on it... doing an MOV file conversion to WMV.

It wouldn't import an MOV file without a player app on the system, so I
installed iTunes with the bundled QuickTime player. That was enough. The
conversion process went well and the new WMV file looks and sounds good, and
is in sync.

PapaJohn (MVP)

Old March 26th 08, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Silverwire

Thanks, PapaJohn. You are most helpful on any forum I found & only one
giving info specific to my problem tho its not yet solved cuz I dont have
iTunes or QuickTime & all forums say free quicktime doesn't work to convert
..mov on Vista. So do I need to buy QuicktimePro or whatever has iTunes
bundled & install SP1 before I can convert .mov? Or do U have any other
solution? So far, I find no other workable "free" or paid solutions on any
forum or ad, & I don't want to buy something that won't work.

I havent installed SP1 yet cuz I just read caution on Windows Update for
Vista users to wait til April for "automatic" update of SP1. Also Office
Depot computer rep told me yesterday MS plans release of SP2 in April or May
so I wonder if SP2 is "fix" of SP1 and reason for caution remark. Any idea on
this?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I am new to Vista, had Windows 2000 b4
Vista (no XP), and no movie or digital photo or ipod, etc. experience and
trying not to crash my system like I hear others do from trying random stuff.
Checkd out ur website - it's GREAT! Very well written, clear explanations for
lots of other problems. Other users should check it out.
Thanks again.
Silverwire
---------

Old March 26th 08, 09:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

I use iTunes on my XP, Vista and Vista SP1 systems... it's a free download
from

http://www.apple.com/mac/

the installation includes a QuickTime player... which provides the codec
needed by the Expression Encoder to handle MOV files.... just to recap
what's happening.

I'd wait on SP1 until you need it or it's automatically updated by
Microsoft. The only reason I have one system running it is because I'm a
beta tester. My production system doesn't have it.

Thanks for the good comments...

PapaJohn (MVP)

"PapaJohn" wrote in message
[...]

Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow