Security prompt everytime I start Internet Explorer

Old September 10th 06, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Thomas Jespersen

Default Security prompt everytime I start Internet Explorer

Hi

I'm running on a fresh installation of Windows Vista RC1 with Office 2007
installed.

Every time I start Internet Explorer (both form the IE Shortcut and from a
mail in Outlook 2007) I get a security warning:

[---]
"A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer"
Name: Windows host process (Rundll32)
Publisher: Microsoft Windows Publisher
[----]

There is a "Do not show me the warning for this program again", but is is
disabled.

How can I disable this prompt?

I did have Windows Live Toolbar and the Windows live favorites plug in
installed. I now uninstalled these... but it didn't help.

Thomas

Old September 10th 06, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Tony Hoyle

Thomas Jespersen wrote:

Every time I start Internet Explorer (both form the IE Shortcut and from
a mail in Outlook 2007) I get a security warning:

[---]
"A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer"
Name: Windows host process (Rundll32)
Publisher: Microsoft Windows Publisher
[----]

rundll32 is a generic program for running other programs. The dialog
should have the program that it is trying to run somewhere also - that's
the important bit.

AFAIK no website should be able to trigger something like that.. I'd be
*very* suspicious and definatly don't press 'yes' until you've verified
that the program is 100% legitimate.

There is a "Do not show me the warning for this program again", but is
is disabled.

Good!

Tony
Old September 10th 06, 09:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Thomas Jespersen

Hi

Of cause I press Allow. I mean... it is Internet Explorer... how can I press
no?

Please notice that I get this warning before a website is loaded. And btw...
Google.com is my homepage.

For the record... in 15 years I never (read: never ever) had a virus on a
system of mine. So I do not believe that this is a virus... it is a bug.
Maybe caused by Windows live Toolbar, Windows Live favorites or Office 2007
Beta 2.

I'm so tired of these security prompts, and I have only been running Vista
for one day. E.g. when I delete a File (created in Windows XP), I has to
confirm it 5 times. How can one take these security warnings serious, if you
get them 100 times a day. I tried editing the
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file...but couldn't save it before
running Notepad in admin mode... arrgh.

I only visited www.live.com and a few other safe MS websites.

/Thomas

Old September 11th 06, 08:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Tony Hoyle

Thomas Jespersen wrote:
Hi

Of cause I press Allow. I mean... it is Internet Explorer... how can I
press no?

It's not Internet Explorer it's something hooked into it trying to
auto-execute. In your case it might be someting innocent but next time
it might be spyware or something worse. You should read the prompt
carefully to find out what is trying to run.

Pressing Allow without verifying what you're loading is just defeating
the point of all the protection that Vista offers. Of course a lot of
neophite users will do just that.. but it's not a good habit.

Tony