How can I set the security so that I can move, copy, delete filee

Old September 11th 06, 05:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
GuyDeStefano

Default How can I set the security so that I can move, copy, delete filee

I converted to Beta-2, & Pre-RC1 no problems. Today was bad bad. I installed
RC1, and cannot do anything without any kind of security permissions, of
which I have tried for hours to change. I just want to be an administrator
on my own machine period. I want to be able to have all access to all my
files ( Home Network ). Cannot do anything, always says "need permission from
(IBM-2345678\[My Name ].
Please help, I have read all the following messages, but cannot see any
clear answer to my problem. Thanks in advance.
Old September 11th 06, 10:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jimmy Brush

Hello,

Please give us some more information as to what files you are trying to
access, where they are located (what computer and what folder), how you are
accessing them, are your computers in the same workgroup, whether you are
using the same username/password on all of your computers, and from which
operating system the files were created in.

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Old September 11th 06, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
GuyDeStefano

Default How can I set the security so that I can move, copy, delete f

Jimmy, thank you for the prompt reply. Yes I have three computers, all are
under the same work group. On web page www.ipscan.com, there is a place to
download the file ipscan. I click on the ipscan.exe, and try to download it
to my folder C:\Temp. Here is where I get the box that I cannot bypass
stating. You need permission from IBM-999999\Guy........ to access that
file. I kinda got myself in a fix, reading one report somewhere that said
to change ownership. I created a new user, and made it owner of all. This
did not work. Where I am now is that somehow when I turn the vista machine on
I have to choose from [ Administrator ] and [ My name ]. Choosing my name, I
get the vista background and all icons ie.. Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.. If I
choose unwisely and click on the administrator, I get a blue background of a
map that is standard on an IBM laptop, plus less than one third icons, no
word, excel, outlook etc. In this mode, if I go to programs, and choose word
( it is there ), then I get the box to mount the installation disk for Office
2003. I just want to sign on as the administrator, with access to all files
and permissions. It is an in-house system for myself and family. I have a PIX
501 that work great, and olso use PC-Cillin for Vista. How can I accompolish
this, I am sure this is what a lot of other single system users want. ( Sorry
for the long winded message, I am originally from New Jersey ). Thanks again
for the reply.

Old September 11th 06, 02:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jimmy Brush

Hello,

It sounds like you may have upgraded and are now having problems dealing
with NTFS permissions. Although, you are having a very strange problem with
your administrator account; based on the information you have given, I have
no idea what the problem is with it.

I am going to assume here that the only problem is permissions to access
certain folders on your computer, and that you have upgraded from Windows
XP, so I am going to respond based on those assumptions.

In Windows Vista, every program that you run only has "standard" user access
to the computer, unless it asks you for permission to run or you explicitly
give it admin permission by right-clicking it and clicking Run As
Administrator.

Unfortunately, a side effect here is that a "standard" user can only write
to your user profile directory (such as Documents, Music, Desktop, etc), and
can only read data from other directories.

Taking ownership of all the folders is NOT the answer, as this effectively
gets rid of all the security that the system offers, and generally won't
work like you expect it to. In essense, you're throwing the baby out with
the bathwater.

You should also note that there are some folders that have been moved or
renamed in Windows Vista. For example, Documents and Settings is now called
Users. If you have enabled show hidden files, you can still see what looks
like a folder called "Documents and Settings". However, this is not really a
folder, it's a junction - it's purpose is to allow old programs to continue
working. You will not be allowed to access these junctions from the shell,
you will need to learn and use the new locations.

Some solutions:

1) BEST: Move all of the folders you want to write to inside your user
profile directory; or, if every user on your computer needs access to a
folder, move it to the Public folder.

2) Or: Change the permissions on the folders you need write access to by
adding full permission to your username. Changing the owner is not necessary
and can be harmful if you are dual booting.

You should only modify permissions on folders that you want ANY programs to
be able to damage without your knowledge, including untrusted programs such
as viruses, malware, and programs that do stupid things by mistake.

You should only change permissions on the folders that *YOU* have created
yourself.

For locations on your computer that the computer created, such as the
windows directory, program files, etc: If you want to write to files in
these areas, you will need to run the tool you are using to modify the files
"as administrator" by right-clicking the tool and clicking Run As
Administrator.

For example, if you are wanting to edit a text file in c:\windows\system32\,
you would need to run Notepad "as administrator", and then open and edit the
file.

In this way, your system is protected from anonymous programs modifying your
computer unless you explicitly give such a program permission. This is the
new security model in Windows Vista and future Windows operating systems. It
is different than in Windows XP.

Here's how to change the approprate permissions on folders that you have
created:

1) Open an "administrator/root" explorer
- Click start
- Type explorer
- right-click windows explorer
- click run-as administrator

2) From the admin explorer, allow access from Vista
- Browse to the folder you need access to
- Right-click it
- Click Properties
- Click security tab
- Click Edit
- Click Add
* If only your account needs acces, type your username
* If every account on vista needs access, type: Users
- Press enter
- Click the checkbox under Allow next to Full control
- Click OK

Repeat for each folder you need to access.

It is, however, possible to make things run like they did in XP, where every
program runs with administrator permissions with or without your permission.
This will effectively destroy the security of your system, as many of the
new security enhancements in Windows Vista rely on this service being
enabled. It is called UAC, or user account control, and can be disabled from
the user accounts control panel.

It is *highly recommended* that you read these forums and informative
websites that teach you how to work with the new security instead of
disabling it. At first glance it seems like it just causes problems, but
when you really dig down into it you may find that it is actually putting
more control in your hands.

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Old September 11th 06, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
GuyDeStefano

Jimmy; Thank you very much for the prompt replies, I really appreciate
that. I have read your response, and will try to learn how to correctly use
the security settings. I will do as you have suggested with the permission
settings. I will try to do some more research on the administrator problem.
Could I just delete the other user ( me ), and then have only the one user (
administrator ). Just a thought. To clarify, I originally in June upgraded
from WinXP SP2 to Vista Beta-2. Last month upgraded from Beta-2 to Pre-RC1
build 5536. This past weekend I upgraded from Pre-RC1 to RC1 build 5600. I
chose to upgrade not full format and installation due to the fact that I have
at least forty five plus programs that I wanted to be carried over. Have
about a ninety percent usable rate. Many programs that I purchased thru the
Internet were downloaded, and thru many many updates patches, I did not want
to rebuild that, am I wrong?, will I have to completly rebuild for the final
release. Again thanks very much. Guy

Old September 11th 06, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
BillD

"GuyDeStefano" wrote:

I converted to Beta-2, & Pre-RC1 no problems. Today was bad bad. I installed
RC1, and cannot do anything without any kind of security permissions, of
which I have tried for hours to change. I just want to be an administrator
on my own machine period. I want to be able to have all access to all my
files ( Home Network ). Cannot do anything, always says "need permission from
(IBM-2345678\[My Name ].

a fresh install is recommended
Old September 14th 06, 08:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jimmy Brush

snip
Could I just delete the other user ( me ), and then have only the one user
(
administrator ). Just a thought.

I don't know ... it sounds like somehow your administrator account got
messed up. I wouldn't recommend it. Also, running as the built-in
administrator runs outside of the "UAC" security protections, so it would be
the same as if you turned UAC off completely.

I chose to upgrade not full format [...] am I wrong?

I can't blame you for wanting to save time, but upgrading from one beta
build to another is generally considered a bad idea (except from beta 2 to
RC1 - this was allowed).

will I have to completly rebuild for the final
release.

Nobody knows yet ... but you probably will.

Again thanks very much. Guy

You're welcome.

--
- JB