No Sound - Possible Corrupt DirectX???? I don't know!

Old March 22nd 08, 01:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SMeddows

Default No Sound - Possible Corrupt DirectX???? I don't know!

I've lost the sound on my laptop and I don't know how to get it back. I have
an HP Compaq nx9430 with 2 Gigs of RAM. Everything was going great after a
clean install of Vista when all of the sudden (I don't know what happened or
updated) the sound stopped working. Now, the strange thing about the sound
is that I can uninstall everything, get rid of the dlls and .sys files for
the drivers. Do a clean install of the sound drivers from HP's website and I
can press my mute button to get the icon in the systray to go to mute and
back. There are even little "sound waves" coming from the speaker in the
systray. However, when I open Mixer, I can see "Speakers" but in the
"Applications" groupbox, Windows Sounds and none of my applications come up.
Applications is empty - yes, totally missing Has anyone ever run across this
before? If so, what did you do to fix it? I'm at my wits end as I can't
listen to music on my laptop while I'm at a coffee shop coding anymore!!
ARGH!

Someone please help. Any KB articles I can look at or hotfixes from MS that
I can call support and aquire?

ANY help that gets me listening to sound again is appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Old March 22nd 08, 03:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

Rollback SP1.
See this:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Old March 22nd 08, 04:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SMeddows

I actually had this issue before SP1. I was hoping that SP1 would fix this
issue. I don't haev all of the symptoms that are described inteh KB article
and I've also done some of the workarounds already.

When I run dxdiag I get an error as well.. "Error: problem getting extra
sound info"

Old March 22nd 08, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JP Levasseur

Hi Scott, go in control panel/device manager/sound,video and game
controller/you should see your audio for me it is connexant high definition
audio right click on your mouse and choose uninstall in the new box just
push the radio button ok do not put a check in delete the driver software
for this device.After everything is finish restart your computer you should
see Vista found a new hardware and installing the drivers, and it should be
ok.I check hp for your portable I did not see compaq nx9430 only nx9030 or
nx9420 Bye JP

Old March 24th 08, 04:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SMeddows

Sorry, it's an nx9420. Still no dice. Windows loads the "High Definition"
driver that gives me a big "X" on top of my speaker. Since I can control
the speaker icon with the Mute, volume up and volume down buttons on the
laptop, I assume that at least the basics of the driver is worknig correctly.
Is there maybe something lower down in the stack that is causing the
"Windows Sounds" to not work?

Old March 26th 08, 09:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JP Levasseur

Hi Did you download the right drivers for your sound ADI soundmax version
6.10.1.5200 dated 14 aug. 2007 I don't know if your Vista Ultimate 32 or
64.The big X where in your task bar or in control panel/sound.Anyhow if your
driver are correct you go control panel/sound you should see a green check
on the speaker,if not click on the speakers and set default to have a green
check on it.after you configure your speaker/you should see stereo you push
test after next/on full range speaker you put a check on front left and
right push next/finish.And now you see speakers you push properties/advanced
you should put a check virtual sound and bass management and push apply and
ok. Now erverything should be alright. Bye JP