Vista Permissions

Old September 13th 06, 07:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kilgore Trout

Default Vista Permissions

Ok, I'm at a total loss, access is denied to my user folders (video, music
ect) I've disabled UAC, edited every local security policy that looked
relevant and tried to take ownwrship via properties . the security tab shows
I have read and write permission, but acces is still demied. I also can't
edit any permissions on the tab, access is denied to that also. I love RC1,
but Joe average user, is going to be pulling his hair out with this catch-22.
Old September 13th 06, 12:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
mikwiz

No problems here, and I have about 6000 music files backed up. I also used
the permissions to retake over my external hard drive, no prob. You shouldn't
have to disable UAC. Did you do a clean install of RC1 or an upgrade? If
upgrade, that may be your problem. . . just a thought.
--
Buddha Bless You

Old September 13th 06, 05:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
mikwiz

Is it files or folders you can't access? Were these files or folders
transfered from another computer or external HD after the clean install? How
did you go about accessing permissions to the folders? Did you try Windows
Easy Transfer program in RC1?

--
Buddha Bless You

Old September 13th 06, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kilgore Trout

no tranfer, RC1from scratch, as for accessing permission its in my original
post. Its a dual boot, easy tranfer doest work on partitions on the same
computer. I've tried takeown.exe too, I've tried re-enabling the
Administrator account, it won't let the admin in either. Guess I'll sticking
with XP, I want access to every folder on my computer, and it appears MS
thinks they know better

Old September 13th 06, 07:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
mayor

Try taking ownership of the offending folders and files. Instructions are
in Help and Support - search for ownership.

--
Leo
Work Harder Millions On Welfare Depend On You

Old September 14th 06, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jimmy Brush

Hello,

Are you trying to access the Music/Video/etc folders inside your DOCUMENTS
folder?

If yes, then: The music/video/etc folders have been moved directly
underneath your user folder in Windows Vista. Accessing the hidden junctions
inside the documents folder will give you access denied, because they are
not folders and are only there for application compatibility purposes.

If no: Are you accessing your music folder on your other partition, or the
one built-in to vista?