Vista Banter

-   Security and Windows Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/security-windows-vista/)
-   -   Independent software developers installations will not install. RC1 Install Shield (http://www.vistabanter.com/11434-independent-software-developers-installations-will-not-install-rc1-install-shield.html)

Tom D September 19th 06 01:17 PM

Independent software developers installations will not install. RC1 Install Shield

Here is an installation problem that I have discovered using RC1. Sorry if
it has already been reported. I use a program called MMB (Multimedia
Builder) It creates an autorun menu for application installations. An
installation CD will have one or more folders, one for each application.
Inside each folder is "Setup.exe" and other needed files created with
"Install Shield". When you click a button on the menu it changes to the
appropriate folder and "runs" Setup.exe.

The UAC Windows permissions window does not show. It either stays in a lower
layer on the screen or does not pop up at all. So consequently the
installation fails because you don't "Allow" the installation program to
run.

I have found this with commercial software installations also. If I "Browse"
to the folder and double click setup.exe it will not install. Only by right
clicking and giving Administrator permissions will it then run the
installation.

This needs to be addressed. There are thousands of independent software
developers using Install Shield and menu programs to create application
installations. I can't force my clients to jump through hoops just to get
the software that they paid for installed on Vista, when it works perfectly
on all other versions of Windows.

Thanks
Tom Drake
Orlando Fl