Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista

Old March 23rd 08, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mike

Default Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista

I cannot connect to the PC where I had my Documents folder - so I need to
reset the documents folder back to its original location on my PC - but
becuase I can no longer access the current location for the Documents folder
I can't access that folder in order to change its location - can anyone help?
i.e. how can I restore the default location for the Documents folder when I
can no longer access that folder?
Thanks
Old March 24th 08, 02:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

In the Start Search box, type 'regeditenter' to open the Registry Editor

Navigate to:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders]

In the right-hand pane, edit the value named 'Personal', changing its data
to:

'%USERPROFILE%\Documents'

Open the 'Run...' dialog via the Start Menu or WinKey+R and paste the
following command:

rundll32 mydocs,PerUserInit

That should recreate the folder, special icon & all.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

Old March 24th 08, 02:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

Error message?
How are you trying to access the Documents folder?
How and when did you move the Documents folder?

Old April 5th 08, 07:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mike

Error message is: Error 1606.Could not access network location \\DELLXPS\My
Documents3\My Pictures\
I am trying to re-install a program (MS Fligth Simulator) which installed
some files into the Documents folder (I believe). I can't the uninstall the
program because the installer can't find the Documents folder where the items
were installed?
I moved the Documents folder after I set up file sharing - I maintain a
central Documents folder on another machine and access it from this machine.
So when file /folder sharing stopped working I can no longer access those
documents in that shared folder on the other computer. And so I can't set
the default folder for Documents back to the orginal location on this machine
(apparently because that location I set it to is no longer accessible from
this computer.
Regards

Old April 5th 08, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mike

I tried this Keith but it did not seem to fix the problem - I still get an
error mesage saying it can't access the folder (Documents). When I ran the
rundll32 program it not seem to do anything.
Regards

Old April 6th 08, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

See if you can find some help he
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Error+1606

Old January 25th 10, 10:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
putneyboy

Thanks to Keith Miller, I found my paths were actually pointing to an
old location where I had my USB Drive
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders
I updated the path to be "I:\My Documents" which fixed the problem with
no being able to click the Documents link on the Start Menu and a host
of other issues such as Adobe not updating as its default folder was on
the "I:\My Documents"

--
putneyboy