Vista RC1 - AntiVirus Solutions..?? which ones actually work?

Old September 19th 06, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Snadge

Default Vista RC1 - AntiVirus Solutions..?? which ones actually work?

Have Microsoft FORCED us to install Trend Micro because they (Trend Micro)
are Contractors to Microsoft supplying AV's on thier servers (probably to get
price cuts for forcing customers thier way)

I tried 3 AV's (Bit Defender 9 and 10 / Kaspersky & AntiVirus Personal) but
ALL didnt work and yet the security centre led me to Trend Micro

Have any other testers had any other AV's working on Vista RC1..? if so
which ones?
All other Apps seem fine apart from McAfee Site Advisor when opening a link
from Google, it crashes IE.....
Any tips on Anti-Viruses for Vista RC1 5600
Old September 19th 06, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jeff

Hi,
No, they might like too; but nope.
Try AVG Free; or Avast.

Jeff

Old September 19th 06, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
RussellS

Once Vista is RTM, you should see all the major Antivirus players will have
offerings (my current favs are NOD32, Kaspersky and BitDefender, in that
order.) Until that time, you can register for and download Vista betas for
the following, both of which include a free 1 year update subscription:

Avast: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23424.0
eTrust: http://www.my-etrust.com/Microsoft/vista/default.aspx

Hope this helps
--
Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

Old September 19th 06, 10:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Robert Moir

"Snadge" wrote in message
Have Microsoft FORCED us to install Trend Micro because they (Trend Micro)
are Contractors to Microsoft supplying AV's on thier servers (probably to
get
price cuts for forcing customers thier way)

I'm not sure why you think you're being forced to do anything. Maybe it's
different from you but at no point in my testing have Microsoft employees
driven up to my house and threatened to drink all my coffee unless I install
particular bits of 3rd party software at their whim.

At the moment there is limited choice for "system level" type software to
work with the new OS, which is to be expected when this is the class of
software most likely to be fundementally affected by changes to the OS as
testing goes on.

This is what beta-testing is all about, and you need to either get used to
it or wait for RTM, I'm afraid.