Cannot delete file

Old March 28th 08, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

Default Cannot delete file

You're welcome Oli.

"Oli" wrote in message
This was useful, thanks.

"Bob" wrote:

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thanks for the feedback.

"minnow52" wrote in message
Thanks a lot for all your help. Was able to delete the 2 movie files
following your instructions just like you said. Once again thanks for
your
help and I'm making sure that I put this forum into my FAVORITES.

"Bob" wrote:

StartProgramsAccessoriesRight click Command PromptRun as
Administrator.

"minnow52" wrote in message
I will try it but how do I open an admin command prompt?

"Bob" wrote:

To delete the file close all open programs.
Open an admin command prompt.
Type attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
(e.g. "C:\Users\minnow52\Documents\minnow52.doc")
Press Enter.
-------
*Report back, please*

"minnow52" wrote in message
When trying to delete a file from a folder, it says "The action
can't
be
completed because the file is open in another program. How do I
find
out
what
program is running that file?

Old April 22nd 08, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
gordievsky

Very Useful thread. Unfortunately after trying your advise, I still
cannot delete a file with a .uif extension. I keep getting an error
message which states "the action can't be completed because the file is
open in another program."

I am pretty sure it is not open in any other programs. I tried
deleting in safe mode with no luck. I tried using a program named
"moveonboot" with no luck.

And I tried using your command prompt suggestion with no luck-- I
received an error which stated "parameter format not correct."

Any other suggestions? Did I type something incorrect into the prompt?

Thanks!

--
gordievsky

Old November 26th 08, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
trisol_31

SITUATION:[/b]
_YOU_MAY_SCROLL_DOWN_TO_THE_*SOLUTION*,_BUT_THE_SI TUATION_WILL_ALLOW_YOU_TO_CONFIRM_THE_SYMPTOMS_OF_ THE_PROBLEM_YOU'RE_FACING_
FOR THOSE WHO, THE ABOVE GIVEN METHOD DIDN'T WORK...(YES, IT DIDNT WORK
FOR ME EITHER...)

HERE'S WHAT I DID...

I HAD INSTALLED MAGICISO SOFTWARE ON 20TH NOV. AND EVERY SINGLE DAY
AFTER THAT I TRIED EVERYTHING TO GET RID OF THE SOFTWARE ITSELF AND THE
.UIF FILE.

UNINSTALLING THE SOFTWARE WAS A NO-BRAINER...I JUST USED THE 'PROGRAMS
AND FEATURES' IN CONTROL PANEL.

HOWEVER, I STILL COULDN'T DELETE THE FILE...

I ALSO TRIED TO UNINSTALL THE DRIVER OF THE ROM IN 'MY COMPUTER' (WHEN
WE INSTALL MAGIC DISC, IT CREATES A NEW ROM DEVICE COMPLETE WITH A
VOLUME LABEL, IN MY CASE F

BUT EVERYTIME I RESTARTED THE SYSTEM THE DRIVER AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLED
AND I STILL COULDN'T DELETE THE FILE EVEN AFTER UNINSTALLING THE
DRIVER...

[b]SOLUTION:
I tried using a feature provided by Microsoft, which until now I
thought was pretty useless.

-_MAKE_WAY_FOR_:_\\"SYSTEM_RESTORE\\"_-

I tried using System Restore on 26th Nov.
But the software only showed me the Restore points for the past 5
days.
Be advised however that It has a check box, which when selected shows
us the restore points later than 5 days...
The system had automatically created a System Restore point before
installing the MagicISO software.
All that was remaining to be doen was, choose a system restore point
before 20th Nov, in my case, I chose 19th.
Sure the restoration took about 20 min, or so....but when I restarted
the PC, the MAGIC ISO ROM was gone.
I went on to the .uif file and deleted it as I would delete any other
file.

Thank you for reading through all this. It was quite a headache for me
as well, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. After all, nobody
wants a silly 'little' file to occupy 19GB of disc space for nothing,
eh?

--
trisol_31
trisol_31's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/trisol_31.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old November 27th 08, 09:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
gordievsky

Well, this probably won't help too much. But I eventually resolved this
problem. The file I was trying to delete was in use by a "virtual
drive" which basically read data files as discs.

After I realized this, and "unmounted" the file, I could delete it.

--
gordievsky
Old November 28th 08, 08:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Zyonix

Dismounting usually works.

If you have an error like this and it's REALLY REALLY bothering you.
Don't take too much time. Get HiJack This and use the "Delete File on
Shutdown" tool.

As soon as the resources stop using the file, it gets instantly
deleted. Perfecto.

--
Zyonix
Old November 29th 08, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
gordievsky

Zyonix;897023 Wrote:
Dismounting usually works.

If you have an error like this and it's REALLY REALLY bothering you.
Don't take too much time. Get HiJack This and use the "Delete File on
Shutdown" tool.

As soon as the resources stop using the file, it gets instantly
deleted. Perfecto.

well, i tried this method, but it didn't work with my mounted file.

just sayin.

--
gordievsky
Old June 12th 09, 07:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Finiderire

Hi,

When I am facing this kind of issue I run Process Explorer by
SysInternals (now Microsoft).
http://technet.microsoft.com/fr-fr/s...896653.aspxYou Open
It, You click 'Find (Handle or DLL)'
You type a part of the file name which is locked and run the search.
You get the name of the faulty process. Now you can understand and
close the process which locks the file.

a+,=)
-=Finiderire=-

--
Finiderire
Finiderire's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/50274.htm

Old November 24th 09, 11:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mikeesp

I had the same problem.
I read some of the answers here and they gave me the clue I needed.

I have MagicISO disk installed, a virtual drive.

When I checked it showed the file I wanted to delete as being
"mounted".
I clicked on "umount" and I could then delete the uif file.

Sorry if the techie terms aren't all correct.

--
Mikeesp
Mikeesp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/157718.htm