Default Printer

Old March 25th 08, 01:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
LMI

Default Default Printer

I just got 3 vista PC into our current SBS 2003 network. What im seeying is
that the printers will not stay or can even be setup as the default printer.

Can anyone tell me any tricks
Old March 26th 08, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Are you getting any error when setting the default.

If you can't set the default at all be sure the user has write access to the
default printer key. Normally everyone has write access as this is how some
application take over the default printer but I've noticed a couple of posts
and the key settings were changed from the defaults. I don't know if this
is a group policy setting or from some application.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Device

this is the default printer key

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Old March 27th 08, 10:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
LMI

I dont get any errors when I try and set the default printer. The issue is
that when i right click to the printer and try to set it It wont do anything
(doesn;t change the current default printer to the new one). The only way I
can set the default printer is if I delete that printer and re-run the setup
printer utility in vista. The other things is that this user account has full
rights and is a member of the administrative group.

The actual printer is a HP LaserJet 5000. I talked with HP and they weren't
much help. All they told me is that this printer can;t be networked. and I
responded we have had this printer networked for over 5 years and it works
fine with XP Pro SP2

Old March 27th 08, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
John

I have had the same trouble and still cant make the driver for an IBM
Infoprint 1612 work. However, its easy with HP printers: Go to the HP website
and select the appropriate drive. It gives you the choice of a straight
download or complete automatic download and installation using Active-X
(whatever that is!) It worked first time

Old March 27th 08, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Are you connecting directly to the network card on the printer or is the
printer shared by another computer?

I can't believe HP support said a laserjet could not be networked.

If you are connecting directly to the device be sure to use the Vista
supplied drivers for the device. There is PCL5 , PCL6 or PS.

--

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Are you getting any error when setting the default.

If you can't set the default at all be sure the user has write access to
the
default printer key. Normally everyone has write access as this is how
some
application take over the default printer but I've noticed a couple of
posts
and the key settings were changed from the defaults. I don't know if
this
is a group policy setting or from some application.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Device

this is the default printer key

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

rights.

Old March 28th 08, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Vista RTM, correct?

Can you set the default using the command line tools rather than the UI?

open a command window

cd c:\windows\system32\printing_admin_scripts\en-us

cscript prnmngr.vbs -t -p \\printserver\"printer name"

if the name of the printer has any spaces you have to use the ""

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7

The default printer is now \\printserver\printer name

Open the printers folder (F5 if the folder is already open will refresh)