AVG Free will work with 5600 and 5728 but...

Old September 27th 06, 03:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Rick

Default AVG Free will work with 5600 and 5728 but...

First, I turned off UAC and rebooted. Then I ran the install program in
Compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2. It was also set it as run as
Administrator. When the installation was complete I then rebooted. With
the AVG virus program updated and running properly I enabled UAC again and
rebooted. Now AVG is working and I have no compatibility warnings from
Vista.

When I originally tried to install AVG Free it had errors on the
installation and I received compatibility warnings that could not be
resolved through the links provided. This was the newest version a AVG Free
downloaded on 9/27.

Old September 29th 06, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
pippin

Hi

This would be great news but one thing which happened to me with beta2 AVG
worked after install plus on re-booting the computer but on 'cold' boot the
next day the error about the database happened again - have you completed a
cold boot with the setup you have AVG working on just now? I am very
interested as this would be great if it worked with UAC enabled.

Old September 29th 06, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Rick

Yes, I did a cold boot after I read your message. I normally use the sleep
mode and turn off the monitor instead of completely powering off the
computer. Everything is still OK with AVG after the cold boot. One thing I
noticed that is different from my AVG installation with prior builds is that
now I can ask for it to manually check for updates and I don't get the UAC
warning where I have to approve the action. Now it works like it did under
XP and 98SE. BTW: I do have UAC activated now. I only turned it off while I
installed AVG.

I am running a 5728 upgrade on top of a 5600 build. All my prior Vista
installs were on a blank hard drive.

Old September 30th 06, 10:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
pippin

Thank you this is great news and even better now you have the cold boot
and AVG is still working. I am trying to make my mind up for a fresh install
of 5728 hoping all will go well as my RC1 is stable atm - fresh install will
definitely try AVG again. I thought at first mine was realted to the fact I
had AVG Pro on my first hard drive with XP Pro which is why I tehn gave up
and had to use Trend but your post and method of install will help me a lot
even if I just uninstall Trend and install AVG.

I really hope to do a clean install for the new version but will have to
backup things first. Thank you for sharing the way to install AVG correctly
to allow me to use UAC. Will download the most recent version to have al
ready