Vista Banter

-   Security and Windows Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/security-windows-vista/)
-   -   Norton is looking for beta testers - Vista 32 bit NOT 64 bit (http://www.vistabanter.com/11477-norton-looking-beta-testers-vista-32-bit-not-64-bit.html)

Spirefm September 28th 06 03:50 AM

Norton is looking for beta testers - Vista 32 bit NOT 64 bit

Norton Internet Security Testing -
https://et.symantec.com/callout/default.html?callid={5FB0B868-987F-4D8A-995C-7925EB89D6DE}

Colin

Alejo September 30th 06 04:54 PM

"Spirefm" wrote:

Norton Internet Security Testing -
https://et.symantec.com/callout/default.html?callid={5FB0B868-987F-4D8A-995C-7925EB89D6DE}

Colin

norton is the the worst AV suite ever. It is extremely restrictive on XP and
has too many volrnabilities. I hope they are starting over

Spirefm September 30th 06 06:11 PM

Norton is looking for beta testers - Vista 32 bit NOT 64 bit

I've just had quite a row with Norton. I lost. They terminated my 1 year's
subscription with over 100 days still to go. Reason? "You have re-installed
Norton too often" Grrr. They'll never get me as a customer again, nor any of
my friends. Colin

Kirk September 30th 06 11:37 PM

Norton is looking for beta testers - Vista 32 bit NOT 64 bit

If you try this, make sure you have every other trace of anti-virus and
firewall disabled/turned off before you install. If you don't you will lock
up totally during the install procedure. I was finally able to get it
working and I'm not sure what lucky thing I did. Then I found that
retreieving e-mail took several minutes/account. Other than that, I thought
it was working ok, but then something turned on the Vista firewall and all
hell broke loose. My system continued to lock up, requiring a power-off/on.
I finally figued out what was happening and went into system configuration
to stop it from starting on a reboot. I've notified Norton, but who knows
if they'll do anything. I have been a faithfull Norton's user for the last
10 years, but since Systemworks 2006, I've been having 2nd thoughts.

Kirk

Jane C October 1st 06 12:23 AM

Norton is looking for beta testers - Vista 32 bit NOT 64 bit

Colin, think of it as a blessing in disguise ;-)
I dumped Norton/Symantec off 5 years ago. Never again.

--
Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation :-)

BChat October 1st 06 03:08 AM

Norton is looking for beta testers - Vista 32 bit NOT 64 bit

Count me in on the Anti-Norton Team - none of Symantec's software knowingly
goes on my machine.

altheim October 1st 06 01:30 PM

"Alejo" wrote:

"Spirefm" wrote:

Norton Internet Security Testing -
https://et.symantec.com/callout/default.html?callid={5FB0B868-987F-4D8A-995C-7925EB89D6DE}

Colin

norton is the the worst AV suite ever. It is extremely restrictive on XP
and
has too many volrnabilities. I hope they are starting over

I'm pleased to see that I am not the only one who dislikes Norton AV.

I was having trouble with automatic update and after jumping
through hoops, doing fixes I knew from experience wouldn't work
they had me uninstall and re-install the program, which also didn't
work (I read later that Symantec knew this was a common problem
with dealership bundled software (I have XP SP2)). After that they
just stopped reponding to my pleas for help.

So I'm with you guys. I've dumped Norton, and until I upgrade to
Vista I'm using PCTools AV, which at least has a real 'uman bean
to talk to.

It remains to be seen whether MS have 'uman beans.

--
altheim

Kirk October 1st 06 02:57 PM

Norton is looking for beta testers - Vista 32 bit NOT 64 bit

I've heard back from Norton.

"We are having many conflicting issues with Build 5728. We hope to have them
corrected in the next ET build."

Tune in for the next action packed episode.

Kirk

Steve Urbach October 1st 06 06:02 PM

Norton is looking for beta testers - Vista 32 bit NOT 64 bit

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 11:11:01 -0700, Spirefm
wrote:

I've just had quite a row with Norton. I lost. They terminated my 1 year's
subscription with over 100 days still to go. Reason? "You have re-installed
Norton too often" Grrr. They'll never get me as a customer again, nor any of
my friends. Colin

"Alejo" wrote:

Same thing with me.
I re-read the EULA.
It clearly says ONE MACHINE , with no restrictions on how many times
you can do it on that ONE MACHINE.
I was installing a RAID card (with user errors :/ being the problem),

It took me 3 times before I learned how to RTFM instructions
correctly. Each re-try, I loaded System works with a paid up A/V
subscription.
It is one thing to disable UPDATES. It is another to disable A/V
software in this day and age on a broadband connected computer.
Hear, Hear! for hardware firewall's that can NOT be disabled by the
vendor.

Techno-Crat October 2nd 06 07:30 AM

Norton is looking for beta testers - Vista 32 bit NOT 64 bit

Nortons is filing suits againt MS for the new security measures being put
into Vista...
Its all about the money ... If you by a Symantec product and want to talk to
a tech they charge you for the call
At least MS has warranty built in to there products so if you bought a
retail copy you get 2 free support calls and unlimited "install" support