UAC & Shared PST File Permissions

Old September 29th 06, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Thomas

Default UAC & Shared PST File Permissions

I have just installed build 5728 on a dual boot system (separate drives). In
addition, I have installed Office 2007 Beta Refresh on both XP SP2 and Vista.
Consequently, I would like to share a common PST file. This resides on my
XP partition.

With UAC turned on, I am blocked from accessing the common PST
(permissions). With UAC turned off, I am able to access the file.

Could anyone tell me what I need to do to access this file with UAC turned on?

I would like to continue with UAC, but I need to have the flexibility to
decide where my data is stored...
Old September 29th 06, 03:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Thomas

Sorry for the second post on this - the system returned an error in
submission the first time around

Old September 30th 06, 01:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Guest

it is not UAC that denies you access, it is the lack of permission
If you want several people to access something simple give them the
permission to do so.

Old September 30th 06, 04:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Thomas

ok, but why am I able to access the files when I turn UAC off? Do the
permissions only kick in with UAC activated?

This may sound like a stupid question - I am a total noob when it comes to
successfully configuring permissions in Vista (yes, I have tried). Question
to me is: how will the average user manage this complexity. I separate
programs from data on different drives and do not necessarily store things
where microsoft intended...
Old October 1st 06, 05:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Guest

when UAC is turned off you are an administrator always - so you can access
**any** file administrators can access.
when UAC is turned on you are only an administrator when you explicitly
consent to be one, everytime else you are just a user.

So if you want to access anything, the user you are currently using needs
the explicit right to access the file .

Old October 2nd 06, 06:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Thomas

Got it, thanks...