Vista Banter

-   -   Changing boot drive (http://www.vistabanter.com/114842-changing-boot-drive.html)

CJM[_2_] March 26th 08 09:39 AM

Changing boot drive

I've upgraded my machine at some point in the last year, where I added a new
500GB drive and moved my C: partition across to it. The previous 250GB drive
was left in for additional storage.

Just recently (while upgrading my BIOS) I realised that my system was still
booting from the 250GB drive even though Windows was on the other disk.

There is a fair possibility in the not too distant future that I'll replace
the 250GB disk with a larger disk, in which case I won't be able to boot. Is
there a safe and reliable way to change it so that the system boots from the
500GB disk?

CJM

DL March 26th 08 09:56 AM

Changing boot drive

FYI
The reason for this being that after cloneing a drive you have to shutdown,
disconnect the old C drive, if neccessary set the new drive as master then
reboot. Then shutdown a connect old drive as slave, before rebooting.
Currently I would suspect your old drive is still C and your win drive has
another letter

I know how to correct this in winxp but unsure about the Vista process
Its to do with the Master Boot record still being on the old C

CJM[_2_] March 26th 08 10:09 AM

Changing boot drive

"DL" address@invalid wrote in message
FYI
The reason for this being that after cloneing a drive you have to
shutdown, disconnect the old C drive, if neccessary set the new drive as
master then reboot. Then shutdown a connect old drive as slave, before
rebooting.
Currently I would suspect your old drive is still C and your win drive has
another letter

No, my windows partition is definitely C:...

Rick Rogers March 26th 08 10:13 AM

Changing boot drive

Hi,

The old drive is still the active one. You have to change the active volume
in disk manager (diskmgmt.msc) and then run a startup repair, preferably
with the old drive temporarily detached.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

CJM[_2_] March 26th 08 12:09 PM

Changing boot drive

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
But that does not make it the boot drive.

Quite.

Which takes me back to my original question... How do I set the disk
containing my current drive C to be the boot disk?

CJM[_2_] March 26th 08 12:13 PM

Changing boot drive

"Rick Rogers" wrote in message
Hi,

The old drive is still the active one. You have to change the active
volume in disk manager (diskmgmt.msc) and then run a startup repair,
preferably with the old drive temporarily detached.

Rick,

I thought an active volume was the volume on a disk (containing one or more
other volumes) that was marked as the bootable volume? That is, there can be
one active volume per physical disk...

[I've just checked... this is correct - one volume per disk can be marked as
Active]

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'startup repair'. Coul you please elaborate?

Thanks

Chris

Spirit[_3_] March 26th 08 12:34 PM

Changing boot drive

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f3f351033.mspx

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6131173.html

cvp[_2_] March 26th 08 01:13 PM

Changing boot drive

First, a little terminology:
What you appear to be talking about is the "System" drive (which your
BIOS will "boot" to, not the "Boot" drive which actually contains the
system.

You can easily check this by looking in Disk Manager and checlking which
one is labeled as "System" and which is labeled "Boot"

There are several ways to fix this, but the easiest is to copy from the
"System" drive to the "Boot" drive:
Bootmgr
Boot directory
Both of those are hidden/system so make sure you can view such files.
Then, go into your machine's BIOS settings and change the Boot priority
of the hard drives (there are several different terminologies so
interpret this freely). Make the drive with your system on it (the
"Boot" drive) the first in the drive sequence.

Then boot from your dvd and choose "repair" instead of "Install" and fix
up the boot files (I can't remember the exact terminology)