UMAX Powerlook II Scanner in VISTA Ultimate ?

Old March 26th 08, 10:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

Default UMAX Powerlook II Scanner in VISTA Ultimate ?

I've tried until I am blue in the face. I can't get this scanner to
scan using VISTA. It works okay in XP. I did get it to work once in
Vista Ultimate, but after a crash I had to re-install Vista and now I
can't get it to work.

Several re-tries with different drivers and driver re-loads either
produce no scanning at all or once or twice only partial scans of the
source.

So, I am frantically asking if anyone out there has been able to use
this scanner under VISTA Ultimate? Maybe you can point me to correct
drivers and/or information on this?

Thanks

Gecko
Old March 26th 08, 12:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
kurttrail

gecko wrote:

I've tried until I am blue in the face. I can't get this scanner to
scan using VISTA. It works okay in XP. I did get it to work once in
Vista Ultimate, but after a crash I had to re-install Vista and now I
can't get it to work.

Several re-tries with different drivers and driver re-loads either
produce no scanning at all or once or twice only partial scans of the
source.

So, I am frantically asking if anyone out there has been able to use
this scanner under VISTA Ultimate? Maybe you can point me to correct
drivers and/or information on this?

Thanks

Gecko

Back when XP came out I tried to get an old UMAX scanner working, and
IIRC, I could only get drivers from its European Web site. You could try
looking there.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Old March 26th 08, 12:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rich[_5_]

"gecko" wrote in message
I've tried until I am blue in the face. I can't get this scanner to
scan using VISTA. It works okay in XP. I did get it to work once in
Vista Ultimate, but after a crash I had to re-install Vista and now I
can't get it to work.

Several re-tries with different drivers and driver re-loads either
produce no scanning at all or once or twice only partial scans of the
source.

So, I am frantically asking if anyone out there has been able to use
this scanner under VISTA Ultimate? Maybe you can point me to correct
drivers and/or information on this?

Thanks

Gecko

Go buy an Epson all in one for $70 and move on from UMAX pieces of crap. You
have already spent the $70 in time?

Rich

Old March 26th 08, 10:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
huwyngr

In article , Gecko wrote:

UMAX Powerlook II Scanner in VISTA Ultimate

That scanner uses a scsi interface -- have you got that working OK
under VISTA? Check Device Manager for flags.

What software version have you tried using with it under VISTA?

I am using my HP SJ5P that is decades old and connects via scsi so it
is possible but I had to do two things, even back on W2K and XP. I had
to disable Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) in Services until the
scanner was recognized by, in my case, the HP software, and I had to
use an older TWAIN version of the HP software.

Let us know the answers to those questions above and I'll see what I
can do to help take you through what I did in case it works for you.

Old March 27th 08, 09:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:00:22 -0400, huwyngr
wrote:

UMAX Powerlook II Scanner in VISTA Ultimate

That scanner uses a scsi interface -- have you got that working OK
under VISTA? Check Device Manager for flags.

What software version have you tried using with it under VISTA?

I am using my HP SJ5P that is decades old and connects via scsi so it
is possible but I had to do two things, even back on W2K and XP. I had
to disable Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) in Services until the
scanner was recognized by, in my case, the HP software, and I had to
use an older TWAIN version of the HP software.

Let us know the answers to those questions above and I'll see what I
can do to help take you through what I did in case it works for you.

Thanks for your offer.

1) I think the SCSI interface is okay because (a) Device Manager says
it is and (2) the scanner worked and still works okay in XP SP2.
I use dual boot, so the hardware connections do not change between
systems.

2) I have installed VUESCAN v8.4.64 in both XP and VISTA. In VISTA, I
have tried scanning with VUESCAN and VISTA's PHOTO GALLERY.
The scanner tries to scan in VUESCAN, but does not show as a scanner
under PHOTO GALLERY. This did not surprise me since I think I read
somewhere that VUESCAN is the only scanner software that works with
the POWERLOOK II. I may wrong on that though.

3) The VUESCAN scans are faulty in that the resulting image on the
screen is only partial and is solid black in top part and has white
with black lines in the bottom part.

4) I also have a HP950cse AIO, and it shows as a valid scanner in
VISTA's PHOTO GALLERY, and scans okay in color. The HP is an oldie
and only stays working for about an hour, then it quits on me. Hence
the POWERLOOK II.

Thanks

-GECKO
Old March 27th 08, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
huwyngr

In article , Gecko wrote:

2) I have installed VUESCAN v8.4.64 in both XP and VISTA. *

Did you use Compatiblity mode and Run as Administrator when you
installed it in VISTA?

In VISTA, I
have tried scanning with VUESCAN and VISTA's PHOTO GALLERY.
The scanner tries to scan in VUESCAN, but does not show as a scanner
under PHOTO GALLERY.

That fits in with what I was saying that my scanner works perfectly with
the older HP Deskscan 2.9 software but is not seen by VISTA's WIA and
so not useable by applications that call for WIA.

That you have to live with or replace the scanner.

3) The VUESCAN scans are faulty in that the resulting image on the
screen is only partial and is solid black in top part and has white
with black lines in the bottom part.

That I can't help with but in case it is interference, did you disable
WIA in Services that is part of Computer Management? Worth trying since
my experience seemed to be that once the scanner was recognized and
working OK that WIA could be back on for use by other applications.

Old March 27th 08, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:56:33 -0400, huwyngr
wrote:

In article , Gecko wrote:

2) I have installed VUESCAN v8.4.64 in both XP and VISTA. *

Did you use Compatiblity mode and Run as Administrator when you
installed it in VISTA?

No, I am single user (with Admin privileges).

[...]

No I did not. I'll take a look

Thanks
Old March 27th 08, 10:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

wrote:

That I can't help with but in case it is interference, did you disable
WIA in Services that is part of Computer Management? Worth trying since
my experience seemed to be that once the scanner was recognized and
working OK that WIA could be back on for use by other applications.

My WIA setting was 'automatic' - I disabled it.

Had no effect. Vuescan will still scan on HP AIO okay, but its scan
on the POWERLOOK still produces the crazy image I described before.
NEITHER scanner now shows up in Photo Gallery. So now I am locked into
Vuescan. But that's okay I guess. I really wanted to get the
Powerlook II going because it has the negative-scanning
hardware-addon, which of course my HP AIO can't handle. And of course
the Powerlook handles legal-size which the HP does NOT.

-G
Old March 28th 08, 12:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
huwyngr

No, *I am single user (with Admin privileges).

VISTA has rules of its own so do not assume that that is taken by VISTA
as the same as Run as Administrator. Please start all over again
including deleting any scanner icon (not sure where in VISTA Home
Premium unless it has a folder in Control Panel) and uninstalling all
the Vuescan software in Remove Programs.

I'll repeat what I intended you to try, starting from a clean sheet
with all traces of the scanner and its software (except for the scsi
adapter):

(1) Disable WIA, unplug the USB caable from the PC and reboot

(2) Locate the downloaded scanner software file (probably an .exe file)
or the file on the media that starts the installation procedure (could
be setup.exe or runCD.exe or ... ),

(3) Right mouse click on that file and select Properties /
Compatibility TAB

(4) Select Compatibility mode for the version of Windows you know this
software runs OK under, XP with SP2 or Windows 2000 for example, by
checking the box against the drop list of Windows versions and then
selecting the version you want.

(5) Down at the bottom of that TAB, check [x] Run as Administrator

(6) OK your way out; if the installation procedure does not start then
Right Mouse Click on that file again and select Open / Run / Install
according to what appears in the context menu.

(7) Follow the installation instructions.

I hope that works -- by which I mean that the Vuescan software works as
under XP, not that you can use VISTA features with it -- but if it
doesn't then I can only echo the suggestion of getting a more modern
scanner that is guaranteed to work under VISTA and to buy it from a
company with no restocking fee if it does not.

Old March 28th 08, 10:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:27:44 GMT, gecko wrote:

I've tried until I am blue in the face. I can't get this scanner to
scan using VISTA. It works okay in XP. I did get it to work once in
Vista Ultimate, but after a crash I had to re-install Vista and now I
can't get it to work.

Several re-tries with different drivers and driver re-loads either
produce no scanning at all or once or twice only partial scans of the
source.

So, I am frantically asking if anyone out there has been able to use
this scanner under VISTA Ultimate? Maybe you can point me to correct
drivers and/or information on this?

Thanks

Gecko

As of this morning:

1) Dual booting into VISTA:
With both the Powerlook and HP AIO scanners on at boot, they both will
scan, but only the HP is correct. The resulting image from the
Powerlook is still the strange looking 8X10 thing with a dark space at
the top, and white space with black lines at the bottom.

2) Dual booting into XP:
With both the Powerlook and HP AIO scanners on at boot, only the
Powerlook is recognized but it scans 100% correctly. The HP AIO sits
in a permanent 'warming up' state, and will not scan.

My thinking is that the SCSI and Powerlook drivers are correct for XP,
and work. The latter drivers are part of Vuescan. Either or both
could be bad or wrong for VISTA, despite the fact that I downloaded
VISTA drivers for the SCSI. I am using the same Vuescan because I did
not find a version for VISTA.

The HP AIO problem in VISTA may also be driver-related, although I
tried specifically to download different HP drivers for VISTA. It
also may be that the AIO itself is failing.

I say all this, hoping someone can offer a course of action (except a
new scanner of course - which is becoming an obvious choice).

Thanks

-GECKO