Can my laptop handle the graphics of Vista Home Premium?

Old March 27th 08, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Clint

Default Can my laptop handle the graphics of Vista Home Premium?

Hello! This is the laptop I'm about to order before I go to college. I was
wondering if it can handle Vista Aero and Vista flip 3D. My laptop comes with
the 32 bit version of Home Premium. Can my laptop handle the 64 bit version,
and if so, what are the differences between the 64 bit and 32 bit versions?

These are the applicable specs:

Dell XPS M1530, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800MHzFSB, 6M L2
Cache)

4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm, for XPS M1530

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

200G 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor

8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive for XPSM1530

Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

One thing I was confused about. In the first line, it says I have a Core 2
Duo Processor T9300. However, in the last line, it says I have Centrino Core
Duo Processor. Do I have two of them? I don't under stand that.
Old March 27th 08, 03:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

It will handle Vista x64 but if you order the laptop with Vista Home Premium
x86 you must buy Vista Home Premium x64 yourself. The preinstalled versions
of Vista x86 do not qualify you for the free x64 dvd. You only get the free
x64 dvd if you buy a retail copy of Vista.

The GeForce 8600 handles Vista graphics just fine.

My advice is to order the laptop with 64bit Vista if 64bit Vista is what you
think you will eventually want. The differences between 64bit and 32bit
operating systems are well covered so just Google on the subject. It is too
extensive to cover in a newsgroup posting and has been covered in the
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup ad nauseum. Read the
threads there.

Old March 27th 08, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gary G. Little

If you aren't going to go to Vista 64, then don't waste the extra bucks for
4 Gig of RAM, since the 32 bit OS will only not see 4 Gig. You have one CPU,
a Core 2 Duo, which gives you multiprocessing capability.

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little

Old May 5th 08, 08:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

"Clint" wrote in message
[...]

To Gary G, Little: I am not quite clear what do you mean when you say
"...don't waste the extra bucks for
4 Gig of RAM, since the 32 bit OS will only not see 4 Gig...." are you
saying 32 but OS does not see 4Gig memory? how much memory can it see/
use out of 4G? this is confusing. do you mind to explain?
Old May 5th 08, 10:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

The BIOS reserves some memory for memory-mapped IO for devices such as the
video card. 32bit Windows can address 4GB but the BIOS won't let it see it
all.