Ghost RECYCLER

Old March 28th 08, 11:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
8-Ball[_2_]

Default Ghost RECYCLER

Ok, so one time I accidently deleted some family photos from my computer and
before I realized I had deleted them I had emptied my desktop recycle bin
*oops*

Sooo...I looked arond online and found a way to navigate DOSs' "secret"
RECYCLER directory and had to manually fish out my files. Apperantly windows
keeps a copy of EVERYTHING I have EVER deleted....Shouldn't this not
happen?!?
Furthermore I dont know how to delete them from this "ghost" directory.
What if I want to sell my computer or it gets stolen; I dont want some punk
kid to jack all the files I thought I deleted!!!
==This scenario occured on a Dell running WinXP, this directory also shows
up on my Dell XPS running WinVISTA==

Why is there a "ghost recycler"? Why dont I have (easy) access to it? Why
can't I delete files from it? AND WHY WASN'T I NOTIFIED ABOUT IT???

Old March 29th 08, 07:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
James Truelove[_2_]

"8-Ball" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting! I did know vaguely that when files were deleted the file
alloction table deleted the first letter of the filename so it could not be
found BUT I did not know about this hidden recycler folder? I presume you
are somehow accessing the recycle bin with deleted files in it even when you
have emptied it via the right click option?
How do you reveal this Ghost Directory or Folder in Vista?
James

Old March 29th 08, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
DP

"8-Ball" wrote in message
Furthermore I dont know how to delete them from this "ghost" directory.

What if I want to sell my computer or it gets stolen; I dont want some
punk
kid to jack all the files I thought I deleted!!!

Is there some dos command you can use to delete those files?

Old March 31st 08, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Urban

With the proper resources, time and determination most any file can be
recovered from a hard drive.

It has nothing to do with a hidden recycle bin.

Old April 1st 08, 05:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Urban

It is simply the fact that upon deleting a file the reference to the file is
removed from the file allocation table. The file data itself is still on the
hard drive until the space is re-used by another file.

Nothing magical about it and it has nothing to do with a hidden recycle bin.
There are many programs out there to recover files that have been deleted.
Some programs do a better job than others. If these programs fail to do what
they claim to do there are always professional companies that specialize in
hard drive recovery.

Old April 1st 08, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
James[_8_]

As previously mentioned I know about the FAT and files being on the hard
drive after deletion. I was more curious about the 'Ghost Directory' in DOS
that 8-Ball was talking about?

Old April 1st 08, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Urban

Maybe 8-ball will come back with a "qualified" link to this supposed "ghost
directory" that he is referring to that exists in DOS (DOS doesn't exist in
Vista).

Old April 2nd 08, 12:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
8-Ball[_2_]

"Richard Urban" wrote:

Maybe 8-ball will come back with a "qualified" link to this supposed "ghost
directory" that he is referring to that exists in DOS (DOS doesn't exist in
Vista).

Ok, first im not good with computers and hope to learn more from people on
this fourm than they will probably learn from me. the DOS i am refferring to
can be accessed by clicking the start icon, searching in the box for 'cmd'
and right clicking the icon and selecting 'run as administrator'. (i doubt
this is the original)
second, im sorry if i confused anyone with the term 'ghost recycler' becasue
it is not the recycle bin and i made up the term myself. I used a program
called "Restoration version 2.5.14" to recall my files from the 'abyss'.
however this program does not let ou delet the files. I used this program
becasue the DOS option did not work. i look again for the link to the DOS
instructions i used the first time but am unable to fint them; they were on
another fourm.