Serious Hardware or OS Problem?

Old March 31st 08, 12:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Lee Beck

Default Serious Hardware or OS Problem?

Thanks to all for your educated advice and opinions. I am placing an order
for a new replacement computer but will continue to diagnose the dirty one.
I don't think acid water got into it, but as mentioned earlier there was a
substantial amount of soot. I will clean the add-on circuit boards and
install them in the replacement computer and I think that I'll be able to get
the data from the hard drives of the burned one.

I almost wish that I was not getting the tease of a familiar boot and
desktop. After I get the new computer up and my data off, I'll continue to
look for a utility that can at least determine if the problems that I'm
seeing are Windows or hardware related. I may be able to use the damaged one
as a backed-up spare for non-essential work.

"RalfG" wrote:

It really depends on what degree of exposure the computer and peripherals
had. If any circuitry got wet you might as well trash those parts. Smoke
contaminated water is highly acidic and any circuitry that was exposed to it
can corrode very quickly. If you can save your data off of the harddrive
(onto another PC) you'll have got off lucky. Anything saved beyond that is a
bonus. IMO of course.

"Lee Beck" wrote in message
That response could go to every post here. What I'm trying for is to
diagnose the major problem myself, with the help of expertise from the
newsgroup community.

The computer is a Dell Dimension E510, which I paid about 1000 for a
couple
of years ago. I'm hoping that I won't need to trash it. I'll try to
figure
out how bad it is first. If I determine, with the help of whatever I
learn
from forums such as this, that the hardware is seriously compromised, I'll
replace it. However, it may be a software (Windows) problem that can be
repaired with the right care. An added advantage to self-diagnosis is
that I
get smarter. If I take it to a technician I'm out the lost time to
deliver/pickup and whatever expense to diagnose and fix it. And I still
have
a questionable computer.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

Take it to a technician.

"Lee Beck" wrote in message
I rescued my computer from a house fire.

I was pleased that after cleaning it up it recognized my drives. I had
move and get a new DSL carrier, so I got a new gateway from them and
also
replaced my mouse and keyboard. The first problem that I encountered
was
that I could not get the setup.exe file to activate for the MSFT
hardware
CD,
but I did get the mouse/keyboard working (w/o the MSFT software on the
CD).
Next, I figured that I'd connect to the Internet. My computer did
recognize
the setup executable on the setup CD and I was able to begin installing
the
gateway modem. On the step where I installed the Ethernet cable my
computer
crashed and shut sown. I have been able to reboot, but am experiencing
all
sorts of problems never experienced before like not able to access
Control
Panel or System Restore. Also, I was never able to connect the modem
the
computer (I’m working from my notebook computer now).

Because my computer is acting so strange, I clicked on My Computer.
The
information bar at the bottom shows the correct microprocessor and
memory.
But if I right-click on Properties the window returns Processor: Not
Available; Memory (RAM): Not Available; Computer Description: Not
Available.
My Vista install CD was destroyed in the fire, so I can’t do a repair
from
that (if needed).

At this point, I’m just trying to diagnose the big question – is my
computer
ruined or is my OS terribly out of whack (maybe from the
aborted/botched
installations)? Is there some way to do this? I have MS OneCare that
initially worked (I turned off the firewall to try the DSL install) but
now
isn’t accessible.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Old June 4th 08, 08:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
hyla

This response is extremely unhelpful!

Colin Barnhorst;666075 Wrote:
Take it to a technician.

"Lee Beck" LeeBeck@xxxxxx wrote in message
I rescued my computer from a house fire.

I was pleased that after cleaning it up it recognized my drives. I

had to

--
hyla
Old June 4th 08, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Use of any electrical product following exposure to a fire is very risky to
the user. Only a qualified technician can determine its safety.

"hyla" wrote in message

[...]

computer (Iâ?Tm working from my notebook computer now).

Because my computer is acting so strange, I clicked on My Computer.
The
information bar at the bottom shows the correct microprocessor and
memory.
But if I right-click on Properties the window returns Processor: Not
Available; Memory (RAM): Not Available; Computer Description: Not
Available.
My Vista install CD was destroyed in the fire, so I canâ?Tt do a
repair from
that (if needed).

At this point, Iâ?Tm just trying to diagnose the big question â?" is
my
computer
ruined or is my OS terribly out of whack (maybe from the
aborted/botched
installations)? Is there some way to do this? I have MS OneCare
that
initially worked (I turned off the firewall to try the DSL install)
but
now
isnâ?Tt accessible.

Any help is appreciated.