How do you record songs in Vista

Old March 30th 08, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
BobThompson

Default How do you record songs in Vista

On my old XP machine I could go into the "sound" option, select recording
options and check the "stereo mix" box, then play a song in Windows Media
Player and record in Roxio or another sound recording application. This was
a useful way to convert song files from one format to another (for example,
from wmf to mp3, or from some proprietary iTunes or Rhapsody format to mp3).

This option isn't available on my new Gateway running Windows Vista. The
new sound menu has "Recording options" and "Playback options". Under
"Recording options" it only has Microphone, Aux and Line In. None of these
work for recording from the computer. Is this a limitation of my machine, or
of Vista? Is there a way around this problem? How do I record from the
sound card in Vista?
Old March 30th 08, 02:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Cal Bear '66[_2_]

Stereo Mix (Realtek) and What-U-Hear (Creative) are a function of the sound
card's drivers.

What sound card do you have? Have you looked for an updated driver?

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old March 30th 08, 04:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
dbknox[_31_]

Can you give some more data, such as is this an "onboard" sound" card
and the type of sound card. There are so many people with new computers
and Vista with "onboard" Realtek speaker cards. Many of them have had
troubles with recording and bad quality sound. Realtek does now have a
new driver that can be updated from their site. This has fixed my
Realtek problems. ( recording and terrible sound).
If you have the Realtek sound card do a search on this site there was a
link supplied for downloading it. I am sorry I don't have it.
Good luck.

--
dbknox
Old March 30th 08, 04:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

Here's tip #11 on my Vista Movie Maker Intro page... it turned the
feature on for my Home Basic and Ultimate SP1 systems.

#11 - 'Out of the Box' the Narration options of MM6 don't include the
'Stereo Mix' that MM2.1 in XP has, the feature that lets you capture a
narration file from whatever is playing on your computer. But the feature is
there to be turned on.

Use the Control Panel Sound Recording tab Right click on the
background and choose "show disabled devices." Right click on Wave Out Mix
(Stereo Mix) and click enable. It should now work the same way as Wave Out
Mix (Stereo Mix) in Windows XP, allowing you to record the sounds your
computer plays.

PapaJohn (MVP)

Old December 25th 09, 08:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Sarkoloff

Thank you PapaJohn, you saved me a lot of aggravation.. your advice was
right on!

Having to right click the empty "no devices detected" box was the
trick, I'd have never even guessed that would do it. Thanks a million!

--
Sarkoloff

Old December 25th 09, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

Happy holidays
--
PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org

Old December 25th 09, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

Happy holidays
--
PapaJohn