UAC - File Virtualization (VirtualStore missing)

Old April 1st 08, 02:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Simonfr

Default UAC - File Virtualization (VirtualStore missing)

I’m currently troubleshooting a problem with UAC - File Virtualization in
Vista SP1. File Virtualization is not working in Vista and is breaking some
applications that previously tested good. The difference with this build is
that the C:\User folder has now been relocated to the D:\User. It now seems
that Vista is not creating the VirtualStore Folder & and respective
sub-folders under %LocalAppData% (which is pointing to the correct path on
D:\). I’m wondering if Virtualization has some known problems if the User
Data folders have been relocated, and if there’s something I can do.

Old April 1st 08, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if there is code that looks for a language
specific version of %homedrive%\users and that is what causes virtualization
to break.
---

Old April 1st 08, 03:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Simonfr

I would be very disappointed if this was the case.
Are there any Path variables or registry objects File Virtualization uses
that I can check, such as the path of %LocalAppData%.
I have confirmed that secpol shows UAC File & registry Virtualization to be
enabled, it just doesn't appear to be doing it's job. There is no
VirtualStore folder and additionally no events in the UAC-FileVirtualization
event log.

Old April 1st 08, 04:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

I would be very disappointed if this was the case.

Sorry to disappoint you, although I am conjecturing.

Are there any Path variables or registry objects File Virtualization uses
that I can check, such as the path of %LocalAppData%.

More than likely it uses the standard environment variables. There is
nothing specific to virtualization, but based on the symptoms, it is quite
certain that they are not using the LocalAppData variable. To start with, I
would fire up Process Monitor and see if I could tell what was failing.

How exactly did you move the folders? It could also be a permissions issue I
suppose.
Old April 1st 08, 04:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Susan Bradley

Jesper wrote:
I would be very disappointed if this was the case.

Sorry to disappoint you, although I am conjecturing.

Are there any Path variables or registry objects File Virtualization uses
that I can check, such as the path of %LocalAppData%.

More than likely it uses the standard environment variables. There is
nothing specific to virtualization, but based on the symptoms, it is quite
certain that they are not using the LocalAppData variable. To start with, I
would fire up Process Monitor and see if I could tell what was failing.

How exactly did you move the folders? It could also be a permissions issue I
suppose.

NTFS symbolic link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link
There's a KB I've seen (that I can't find right now) that talks about
this symbolic link issue.
http://rogerhendriks.blogspot.com/20...directory.html
Old April 1st 08, 07:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Simonfr

Thanks for the help, I haven't quite fixed the issue but I have discovered a
little more about the problem. I opened Task Manager and selected the
Virtualization column in attempt to manually set the process to run as a
virtualized process however I found that all applications were listed as "Not
Allowed" and the Virtualization option was greyed out. This would definitely
cause the file virtualization to break.

This seems to indicate that something is disabling the virtualization
(policy perhaps), has anyone seen this before. I have checked secpol: Windows
Settings-Security Settings-Local Policies-Security Options - all the
relevant UAC policies are enabled including "UAC: Virtualize file and
registry write failures...."

Old April 1st 08, 07:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Simonfr

False alarm...I didn't realise I was logged in as the adminstrator, this is
why the Virtualization was set to "Not Allowed".