Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

Old Games on Vista

Old April 4th 08, 10:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
John Sisker

Default Old Games on Vista

I'm sure this question has been asked before. However, is there a way to get
older Windows 95, 98 and/or XP programs to run on a Vista computer? I can't
even get them to load.

John Sisker

Old April 4th 08, 11:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

John Sisker wrote:
I'm sure this question has been asked before. However, is there a way to
get
older Windows 95, 98 and/or XP programs to run on a Vista computer? I can't
even get them to load.

Right Click the EXE, Run As Admin, and set compatibility to Win98.
For DOS games, you should use DOSBox.
When all else failed, use VMWare or Virtual PC.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.24.4
Old April 7th 08, 06:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in
:

John Sisker wrote:
I'm sure this question has been asked before. However, is there a way
to get
older Windows 95, 98 and/or XP programs to run on a Vista computer? I
can't even get them to load.

Right Click the EXE, Run As Admin, and set compatibility to Win98.
For DOS games, you should use DOSBox.
When all else failed, use VMWare or Virtual PC.

Name the game you're trying to run, maybe we can give you specific
instructions for the game.

--
-A.
Old April 7th 08, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
John Sisker

48.16...

John Sisker wrote:
I'm sure this question has been asked before. However, is there a way
to get
older Windows 95, 98 and/or XP programs to run on a Vista computer? I
can't even get them to load.

Right Click the EXE, Run As Admin, and set compatibility to Win98.
For DOS games, you should use DOSBox.
When all else failed, use VMWare or Virtual PC.

Name the game you're trying to run, maybe we can give you specific
instructions for the game.

--
-A.

Riven, Walt Disney World Explorer, Walt Disney Biography.

Thanks,
John

Old April 8th 08, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
phypps

Riven has a 16 bit installer and so won't install on 64 bit vista (should be
OK on 32 bit)
If you have 64 bit Vista and want to run older games with 16 bit installers
(or indeed any game that has problems under Vista that can't be solved with
Admin / compatability settings) then download VirtualPC 2007 from Microsoft
and install it.
It is quite easy to install and set up.
Use an existing XP installation disk and install XP onto the virtual machine
created by VPC2007.
(it is literally XP in a window on Vista !)
Install Riven as normal in this version of XP, and away you go.
(Yes I have done this myself, and it does work - though you will need to
set the full screen behaviour of the virtual machine correctly else it will
sit very small in the middle of the screen (using your desktop resolution)
instead of expanding to fit the screen (though still at 640x480))

Phypps

"John Sisker" wrote in message

48.16...

Old January 4th 09, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
jessicap

ya i think all the games that can be played on windows 2k and xp can be
played on windows vista by changing the properties by right clicking and
changing compatibility mode have a look at below link on how to do it

'How to Run Old Software's and Games on Windows Vista ?'
(http://www.ceveni.com/2008/10/how-to...-games-on.html)

--
jessicap
Old February 12th 09, 07:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
fjd

Here is how I finally worked around to installing Riven in Vista 64..

1. Installed Riven on Windows XP, applied Riven 1.02 update
2. Then copied the MHK files from the data directory on each of the CDs
to the data directory of the Riven installation
3. Next step, edited the "riven.cfg" file in C:\Program Files\Riven so
that in each section it reads like:
[ospit] Disc = 5
File_0 = "data/o_data.mhk"
File_1 = "data/o_sounds.mhk"

the "Disc" line reads Disc =0
4. In Riven1, I went to QTWsetup\Win32\express and copied Qt32inst.exe
to my installed Riven folder.
5. Opened MagicIso, and burned Riven folder to DVD (little over 2.7
gb), then copied contents of DVD to my C: drive on Vista 64.
6. Installed Quicktime 2.0
7. Right clicked Riven exe. and set to run in Windows XP SP2
compatability mode.

Hope this helps, I've Been playing fine now for two days!

--
fjd
Old December 24th 09, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
roodkapje

I have an old game which i'm desperatly trying to make it work. Space
Hawk (an old space shooter).
I tried changing the compatibility and running it as an administrator
but they both didn't work. The remarkable thing is that i can play level
1 without problems, but when i start a custom fight or advance to level
2, vista reports an error and shuts down the game..

I hope you can help me

grtz
Thomas

--
roodkapje

Old March 13th 10, 01:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Jasper[_7_]

Hi roodkapje :']

if your games works with MSDOS, you might can install microsoft virtual PC
(2007), you have to install MSDOS over it, and your probloblem is fixed

"roodkapje" schreef in bericht