Free antivirus software recomendation

Old April 10th 08, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
GT

Default Free antivirus software recomendation

I'm not going to renew my current antivirus subcriptions. Is AVG Free Edition
still good enough to use? when using the software does user need to sign-up?
any thoughts in this software

Old April 10th 08, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

You can use the free versions of either AVG (http://free.grisoft.com) or
AVast! http://www.avast.com) both are excellent, although I still recommend
AVG (it has a more user friendly interface).

With AVG you don't 'sign up' as such. During installation you are asked to
'personalise' avg but that is all, i.e., ser Name, Company, Licence (the
free version of AVG already displays the licence number on this page.)

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Old April 10th 08, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Donny Broome[_2_]

Yes, AVG is still good enough. It uses very little RAM and it has the
features you'll want.

--

------------------------------
Donny Broome

Old April 10th 08, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kayman[_5_]

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:15:01 -0700, GT wrote:

I'm not going to renew my current antivirus subcriptions. Is AVG Free Edition
still good enough to use? when using the software does user need to sign-up?
any thoughts in this software

There are many good free AV applications available, and almost everyone has
his favorite. Most of the users are emotionally attached to their av
application and will have excellent reasons for not recommending any other
brand.
The most important thing here is that all of the available choices listed
here are better in some respects than in others, and which choice is better
for *you* depends on what you do, how you work, and which features you use.
The way you use your PC is different from others.
Have a look at this:
and be guided accordingly.
Good info can be obtained he
http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20
and he
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

If the above is too deluging consider this:-
Real-time AV applications - for viral malware.
Do not utilize more than one (1) real-time anti-virus scanning engine!
Disable the e-mail scanning function during installation (Custom
Installation on some AV apps.) as it provides no additional protection. In
fact most experts believe that scanning incoming and outgoing mail causes
e-mail file corruption.

Avira AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic - Free
http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html
You may wish to consider removing the 'AntiVir Nagscreen'
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/dis...ntivir_nag.htm
or
Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
It includes ANTI-SPYWARE protection, certified by the West Coast Labs
Checkmark process, and ANTI-ROOTKIT DETECTION based on the best-in class
GMER technology.
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)
or
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/
(Choose custom install and untick the email scanner plugin.)
or
Kaspersky® Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free
http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser
or
ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
http://www.eset.com/
and (optional)
On-demand AV application.
David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV.EXE
http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...irus-for-free/

A-S applications - for non-viral malware.
The effectiveness of an individual A-S scanners can be wide-ranging and
oftentimes a collection of scanners is best. There isn't one software that
cleans and immunizes you against everything. That's why you need multiple
products to do the job i.e. overlap their coverage - one may catch what
another may miss, (grab'em all).

SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
and
Ad-Aware 2007 - Free
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html
and
Spybot Search & Destroy - Free
and
Windows Defender - Free (build-in in Vista)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
WD monitors the start-registry and hooks registers/files to prevent spyware
and worms to install to the OS.
Interesting reading:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136195/article.html
"...Windows Defender did excel in behavior-based protection, which detects
changes to key areas of the system without having to know anything about
the actual threat."

A clarification on the terminology: the word "malware" is short for
"malicious software." Most Anti-Virus applications detect many types of
malware such as viruses, worms, trojans, etc.
What AV applications usually don't detect is "non-viral" malware, and the
term "non-viral malware" is normally used to refer to things like spyware
and adware.

Some more useful applications:
SpywareBlaster - Free
"SpywareBlaster is not a scanner application. It blocks the installation of
most ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers and other
unwanted programs from the user's computer. SpywareBlaster works by
blacklisting the CLSID of known malware programs, effectively preventing
them from infecting a protected computer and also allows the user to
prevent privacy hazards such as tracking cookies."

Rootkit Revealer - Free
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...tRevealer.mspx

Crap Cleaner - Free
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities
uncheck "Windows Defender".

CW Shredder - Free
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...Shredder.shtml
Old April 11th 08, 07:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Hami

I've a problem, plz help me out from this....

When ever i switch to full screen of any application like youtube, game etc.
it automatically restores because windows "switches" to the last application
selected on "taskbar"... I 've tried antivirus as well but to no avail...

Anyhelp in this regard will be highly appreciated

Old April 11th 08, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
robinb

AVG free is totally free and it is one of the best antivirus programs out
there
it does what the paid versions do
I have been using it for 10yrs on all walks of OS's including vista
robin

Old April 11th 08, 05:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
robinb

Windows Defender is NOT an antivirus program
it is an antispyware program
robin
wrote:

I'm not going to renew my current antivirus subcriptions. Is AVG Free
Edition
still good enough to use? when using the software does user need to
sign-up?
any thoughts in this software

Just remember to also run Windows Defender, it is not the best but is
better than nothing and is also free. I use AVG on most of my 20 some
computers but have been slowly switching to Avast. Avast has free
anti-spyware built in. AVG has user definable scanning times, I have
not found that on Avast yet.

Old April 13th 08, 10:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mick Murphy

It depends on what Anti-virus you are using as to whether you turn of email
scanning or not.
Avast works fine with it left on. Norton, McAfee, NO.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old April 14th 08, 12:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kayman[_5_]

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 03:28:00 -0700, Mick Murphy wrote:

It depends on what Anti-virus you are using as to whether you turn of email
scanning or not.
Avast works fine with it left on. Norton, McAfee, NO.

Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm