Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Vista won't shutdown

Old April 15th 08, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Otis

Default Vista won't shutdown

I have windows vista home premium edition. Recently, and I am guessing after
an update that was automatically downloaded, I can no longer shutdown without
manually shutting it down. When I click the icon to shutdown it goes to the
screen that says windows is shutting down but never does, even after several
hours. I haven't added any drivers or peripherals. Any ideas?
Old April 15th 08, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Malke[_2_]

Otis wrote:

I have windows vista home premium edition. Recently, and I am guessing
after an update that was automatically downloaded, I can no longer
shutdown without
manually shutting it down. When I click the icon to shutdown it goes to
the screen that says windows is shutting down but never does, even after
several
hours. I haven't added any drivers or peripherals. Any ideas?

If you really think this happened immediately after an update, uninstall the
updates and then test. If the issue doesn't reappear, then install the
updates one at a time, testing after each installation, to find out which
update is the culprit. Otherwise, see below.

*****
Shutdown issues are generally caused by a program and/or process that is
refusing to exit gracefully. The program and/or process can be from malware
or can be legitimate (such as an invasive antivirus like Norton or McAfee).
If you are using a Norton or McAfee product, uninstall it and replace with
a better program such as NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast (free). The Windows
Firewall is adequate for most people. With Vista, shutdown issues can also
be caused by old/poorly written drivers so make sure all drivers are
updated. See Step B. below for general driver directions.

A.The first step is always to make sure your computer is virus/malware free.

B. Drivers - The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke, don't
fix it". Normally if everything is working you want to leave things as they
are. The exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually want to update
their video and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit of performance out
of the hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If you're not one of those
people, you don't need to update your drivers if there are no problems you
are trying to solve.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

C. If the computer is virus/malware-free, drivers are current, and no Norton
or McAfee programs are installed, then do clean-boot troubleshooting to see
which program/process is the culprit:

How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

D. If you need more information, here is an excellent shutdown
troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Standard caveat: If troubleshooting the issue is too difficult - and there
is absolutely no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the
machine to a computer repair shop. This will not be your local
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Get recommendations from family,
friends, colleagues.
*****

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Old December 11th 10, 12:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Kenneth Fisher

Vista won't shut down

On Monday, April 14, 2008 9:16 PM Oti wrote:

I have windows vista home premium edition. Recently, and I am guessing after
an update that was automatically downloaded, I can no longer shutdown without
manually shutting it down. When I click the icon to shutdown it goes to the
screen that says windows is shutting down but never does, even after several
hours. I haven't added any drivers or peripherals. Any ideas?

Submitted via EggHeadCafe
Microsoft LINQ Query Samples For Beginners
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/training-...Operators.aspx