Vista Banter

-   Security and Windows Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/security-windows-vista/)
-   -   How do I disable the Security Center notice about my UAC being off (http://www.vistabanter.com/118954-how-do-i-disable-security-center-notice-about-my-uac-being-off.html)

rowanc88 April 16th 08 01:42 PM

How do I disable the Security Center notice about my UAC being off

Every single time I log in to Windows, that bloody little pop-up comes in the
notification area saying that my UAC is off and that this is a horrible
problem.
I know it's off. I turned it off. Why the hell would I be unaware of that?

So my question is, how do I stop that annoying notice coming up every single
time I start Windows?

Dave April 16th 08 02:02 PM

How do I disable the Security Center notice about my UAC being off

You could try this...
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...-xp-and-vista/

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

t-4-2[_51_] April 16th 08 02:31 PM

rowanc88;685289 Wrote:
Every single time I log in to Windows, that bloody little pop-up comes
in the
notification area saying that my UAC is off and that this is a horrible
problem.
I know it's off. I turned it off. Why the hell would I be unaware of
that?

So my question is, how do I stop that annoying notice coming up every
single
time I start Windows?

Hello, to turn off notification : Control Panel Classic view
Security Centre, left side panel, click "change the way Security Centre
alerts me " click " don't notify me, but display the icon " ( PLEASE,
do not select the last alternative ). You won't see the pop-up again,
just a little icon inside the notification area. Satisfied ?

--
t-4-2

rowanc88 April 16th 08 03:36 PM

How do I disable the Security Center notice about my UAC being

Why shouldn't I choose the last option, t-4-2? Seems like the one I'd want.

t-4-2[_52_] April 16th 08 04:18 PM

rowanc88;685380 Wrote:
Why shouldn't I choose the last option, t-4-2? Seems like the one I'd
want.

Hello, Your "beef" is with UAC, not the entire security system of your
computer, i.e. windows defender, windows firewall, internet options etc.
You shut off the notifications from the entire system, you will not know
if windows defender and or firewall has been turned off or not.( You are
NOT the only one that can turn them off.)
In short, you are putting out a welcome mat to all viruses etc.
" Security Centre can alert you when your computer might be at risk by
displaying a
notification ----" , that's you will see if you click open the Security
Centre .
Picking the last option, it's your funeral.

--
t-4-2

Kayman[_5_] April 17th 08 12:20 AM

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 06:42:01 -0700, rowanc88 wrote:

Every single time I log in to Windows, that bloody little pop-up comes in the
notification area saying that my UAC is off and that this is a horrible
problem.
I know it's off. I turned it off. Why the hell would I be unaware of that?

So my question is, how do I stop that annoying notice coming up every single
time I start Windows?

For your information and consideration :)
The best defenses a
1. Do not work in elevated level; Day-to-day work should be
performed while the User Account Control (UAC) is enabled. Turning
off UAC reduces the security of your computer and may expose you to
increased risk from malicious software.
2. Familiarize yourself with "Services Hardening in Windows Vista".
3. Keep your operating (OS) system (and all software on it)
updated/patched.
4. Reconsider the usage of IE.
5. Review your installed 3rd party software applications/utilities;
Remove clutter.
6. Don't expose services to public networks.
7. Activate the build-in firewall and tack together its advanced
configuration settings.
7a.If on high-speed internet use a router as well.
8. Routinely practice safe-hex.
9. Regularly back-up data/files.
10.Familiarize yourself with crash recovery tools and with
re-installing your operating system (OS).
11.Utilize a real-time anti-virus application and vital system
monitoring utilities/applications.
12.Keep abreast of the latest developments - Sh!t happens...you know.

The least preferred defenses a
Myriads of popular anti-whatever applications and staying ignorant.

Peez of pith, really :-)

SG[_3_] April 17th 08 02:46 AM

How do I disable the Security Center notice about my UAC being

If I were you I'd go ahead and choose it. You've killed IE protective mode
when you turned of UAC, so you might as well turn off everything else.

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

rowanc88 April 17th 08 04:45 AM

How do I disable the Security Center notice about my UAC being

I do all of that,
but I'm not an idiot that needs UAC asking for confirmation every time I do
something. My anti-virus & anti-spyware software blocks anything bad that
comes through, which is hardly ever.

I also don't use IE, because it's just as bad as UAC, needing confirmation
for everything, telling you it's so horrible that you've got pop-up blocker
and the phishing tool off.

MS really needs to reconsider the level of security they force on everyone
who has Windows. Because not everyone is a first time user who has no idea
what they're doing. All this security does is **** off the regular users.

DevilsPGD April 17th 08 06:59 AM

How do I disable the Security Center notice about my UAC being

In message rowanc88
wrote:

I do all of that,
but I'm not an idiot that needs UAC asking for confirmation every time I do
something. My anti-virus & anti-spyware software blocks anything bad that
comes through, which is hardly ever.

What exactly are you doing on a regular basis that needs confirmation?

rowanc88 April 17th 08 11:00 AM

How do I disable the Security Center notice about my UAC being

Other than the usual annoyances when working with executables, UAC comes up
every single time I log into Windows asking me about my network login tool,
Clean Access, stopping my computer from loading any further.

The fact of the matter is, that so many people aren't beginners, we know
what we're doing, and we've already got enough protection, as well as common
sense, in place to stop anything from attacking the computer. Google
'annoying UAC', and you'll get 193,000 cases of people ****ed off at it. So
I'm not alone.