[Defragmentation] Feature request!

Old April 17th 08, 11:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Markus Eßmayr

Default [Defragmentation] Feature request!

Hello to the defragmentation-tool-developer-team,

please please add some progress information to the tool.
Thanks very much!

Max

Old April 17th 08, 11:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Paul Smith

"Markus Eßmayr" essmayr/at/racon-linz.at wrote in message
Hello to the defragmentation-tool-developer-team,

please please add some progress information to the tool.
Thanks very much!

The built-in defragmenter is very much more of a background process, most
users won't ever open the UI. Even if it did have a progress bar, they're
very rarely accurate.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Old April 17th 08, 01:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Markus Eßmayr

Well, I see.
As I have disabled the background defragmenting, I run the whole thing
manually from time to time and so it would be quite nice to see a bit more
of what's going on.

Would you recommend to use another defragmentation tool?
Maybe there are some out there (maybe Freeware) that offer some
visualization.

Max

Old April 17th 08, 02:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Richard Urban

Most people have better things to do with their time than sit and watch
little boxes or bars being shifted around.

The Vista defragmenter is a background service that does what must be done -
when your computer is idle. It needs no interaction from you and is
sufficient for the task.

Old April 17th 08, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mikep

"Richard Urban" wrote in message
Most people have better things to do with their time than sit and watch
little boxes or bars being shifted around.

The Vista defragmenter is a background service that does what must be
done - when your computer is idle. It needs no interaction from you and is
sufficient for the task.

What I dislike is looking at the task schedular event log and see that the
defrag aborted because it ran more than 3 days. And I can see it start and
stop during each of the last 3 days. But I have no clue as to what it did.
Is it caught in a loop?

Old April 17th 08, 02:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mark[_12_]

If you want to see what's going on for free Auslogics is good. I use
Diskeeper which is not free but has a very nice interface with lots of
options like offline defrag, and automatic defrag. It's a top-notch program
and works great. It does have a full function free trial.

Mark

Old April 17th 08, 02:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mark[_12_]

Why is it so hard to understand what this person wants. A lot of people want
to see what is going on.

Mark

Old April 17th 08, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Tom Lake[_2_]

"Richard Urban" wrote in message
Most people have better things to do with their time than sit and watch little
boxes or bars being shifted around.

The Vista defragmenter is a background service that does what must be done - when
your computer is idle. It needs no interaction from you and is sufficient for the
task.

How about Microsoft letting *US* decide what we want to see or not see?
They could add an option to run in either GUI mode or in background mode.

I don't like companies (or governments or other people for that matter)
deciding what I should be allowed to see.

Tom Lake

--

Libertarian Forever!

Old April 17th 08, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Delboy

I use Piriform (same people that publish CCleaner) Defraggler. OK with Vista
and can defrag DriveSpace as well as files.

--

Delboy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams

Old April 17th 08, 07:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
LesleyO

I'm with you, Mark. Have been using Diskeeper for several years, now, on
several units - it's efficient and reliable, and I love being able to
customize when it does its thing and how often. I have it defragging my
tower's drives and my USB drive as well, in the wee small hours when I'm
asleep.

LesleyO

news