HELP downloading screensavers

Old April 25th 08, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
aidan

Default HELP downloading screensavers

Hi all! I hope you can answer my question:

I tried downloading the screensavers from
http://www.625.uk.com/tv_logos/flash4.htm

I follow the instructions on each download page and save it to "system 32"
in Windows C drive (which is what I should do).

Now, my computer has no "administrator" because it is a standalone PC
connected wirelessly to the internet and is not part of a
school/college/university/work network.

Whenever I try and save to System 32 it says I need the "administrators"
permission to do so . . . . when there is no administrator and my PC is not
part of a network

Can anyone help me?
Old April 25th 08, 02:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Aidan wrote:

Hi all! I hope you can answer my question:

I tried downloading the screensavers from
http://www.625.uk.com/tv_logos/flash4.htm

I follow the instructions on each download page and save it to "system 32"
in Windows C drive (which is what I should do).

Now, my computer has no "administrator" because it is a standalone PC
connected wirelessly to the internet and is not part of a
school/college/university/work network.

Whenever I try and save to System 32 it says I need the "administrators"
permission to do so . . . . when there is no administrator and my PC is
not part of a network

Can anyone help me?

Hi, Aidan - First, thanks for the very complete post. I have a few comments:

1. I went to the site and find that all the files there are extremely old
(in computer years). I very much doubt that anything from there is
Vista-compatible and so would strongly urge you not to install these
programs anyway. Screensavers are programs.

2. The reason you are getting the error is that in Vista the System32
directory is protected. Anything you put there would have to be done
elevated (see this link about the differences between XP's built-in
Administrator and Vista's built-in Administrator). But you really, really
shouldn't put anything in that directory. It is protected for a very good
reason.

Changes to the built-in administrator account in Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=942956

3. Installing screensavers is one of the prime ways people infect their
machines. While this particular site doesn't look evil to me, you should be
extremely cautious about where you get screensavers (which, after all, are
just toys). Here are a few safe places:

http://www.wincustomize.com
http://www.vladstudio.com/home/

I hope this has helped you. If you have questions please post back.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Old April 25th 08, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
aidan

Yes that did help me and (with the help of Netscape Navigator) I managed to
install them. I already realise that they can cause my system to have
problems but there are none to report so far.

and as (under the BBC2 clock) it says that the Head of BBC2 has this
downloaded onto his systemwould think that it is a trustworthy website. And I
don't think that the BBC are in favour of rogue websites and programs.

I downloaded it to my desktop uysing Netscape Naviagtor (far better than
Internet Explorer - maybe Microsoft should take a leaf out of Netscape's book
lol! ;-) ), and then cut and paste into the System 32 folder on the "my
computer" - "c drive" - "windows" menu.

Old April 26th 08, 09:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mick Murphy

Netscape Navigator has now finished developing security and performance
updates.
The owner has closed the doors!
What you have will never be updated; it is the last version.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia