Problem connecting IDE and SATA HDDs

Old April 28th 08, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
alex99

Default Problem connecting IDE and SATA HDDs

Hi,
I have recently purchased a new PC which has a SATA harddrive fitted as
standard (running Vista Home Premium from this drive). I want to connect
my old IDE hard-drive - a 180GB IBM DeskStar IDE drive - but simply
cannot get it to work in my new computer...

Is there any special combination for which SATA slot you connect the
new drive to/jumpers on the old IDE drive/or even drivers that need to
be installed etc... I know that the new drive has power as it is warm
when the PC starts and that the SATA cable is fine as I tried it with
the new drive.

Thanks very much!

--
alex99
Old April 28th 08, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carey Frisch [MVP][_2_]

You need to open your motherboard's BIOS
and enable PATA support.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Old April 28th 08, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

You said nothing about having an IDE port on the M/B of your new computer.

You can't connect an IDE drive to a SATA port. If you don't have a legacy
IDE port on the M/B you can not use the drive without an IDE add-in board.

Old April 29th 08, 08:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
alex99

Thanks for your help - I couldn't find a setting anywhere in the BIOS to
enable PATA as such, but after changing a few SATA settings in the BIOS
and changing the jumpers on the IDE drive, I have managed to get it
working...

--
alex99