Ad-Hoc WLAN and ICS with two Vista's

Old April 28th 08, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
-Vulture-

Default Ad-Hoc WLAN and ICS with two Vista's

Hello!

I have a small problem with my PC and my notebook. The PC has Vista
Business installed, the laptop uses an Ultimate (without SP1).
I open a WEP-coded WLAN with the business, more than WEP is not
possible, because it is only a small DLink-Stick. Furthermore I
activate ICS on the PC for the network card with Internet access and
set it up to use the wireless connection. This should fit so far.
If I now join the ad hoc-network with the notebook, I get only in the
rarest cases an IP assigned which should be, thanks to ICS, somewhere
around 192.168.0.x. Nevertheless, the notebook keeps its IP
(169.254.207.xxx). But when i assign a static IP to the notebook, e.g.
192.168.0.2 (1 has the PC/gateway) and adjust all the other settings
suitably on the PC (DNS, standard gateway, etc.) both show up
wonderfully on the network (they see themselves and data transfer
works), but then the laptop does not see the ICS gateway anymore.
Obviously thats why the Internet connection doesnt work .
In those very rare cases, where an automatic IP is assigned,
everything opens out very well, data transfer as well as Internet of
the laptop. Then I also see the Icon of the ICS gateway in the network
of the notebook.

Driver of the WLan-Stick is up to date, Firewalls deactivated.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you!
Old April 28th 08, 11:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
An IP of 169.254.207.xxx is the default local IP that Windows assigned when
it does not find a DHCP server.
If it works OK with static IP then use static IP (ad-hoc wireless ICs was
always a quirky option), there is No functional advantage to this type of
connection (Ad-Hoc) to use Auto assigned IP.
Be careful WEP is not real safe, you should consider upgrading to newer
wireless and use WPA.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Old April 29th 08, 06:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
-Vulture-

On 29 Apr., 01:09, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
wrote:
Hi
An IP of 169.254.207.xxx *is the default local IP that Windows assigned when
it does not find a DHCP server.
If it works OK with static IP then use static IP (ad-hoc wireless ICs was
always a quirky option), there is No functional advantage to this type of
connection (Ad-Hoc) to use Auto assigned IP.
Be careful WEP is not real safe, you should consider upgrading to newer
wireless and use WPA.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Yeah, the notebook doenst find a dhcp server, that means that the
Vista business doesnt assign any IP adress to the notebook, but why?
Cause sometimes it works...
Well the basic network functions work with a static IP, but not the
ICS gateway. So i cant use the internet connection of my PC from my
laptop. - main problem
And yeah, WEP isnt safe in any way, but the DLink USB adapter isnt
capable of WPA in ad hoc mode, thats why i have to use WEP. Its
already a relatively expensive adapter with N standard and i wont buy
a new one.

Thanks for your reply!

Philipp