HP nw8000 video driver troubles

Old November 27th 06, 08:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ChrisKK

Default HP nw8000 video driver troubles

Hello all,

I installed Vista Ultimate RTM on my HP nw8000 yesterday. Finally got the
login screen after a couple of reboots.

After login, Vista correctly recognized my graphic chipset as an "ATI
Mobility FireGL T2" and installed a Microsoft supplied WDDM driver, asking to
reboot. After reboot, the green progress bar was show, after that the screen
went blank.

Had to power off manually after waiting a couple of minutes and reboot
"last known good".

I also tried the latest ATI Mobility Vista drivers and the latest Omega
driver, same result for all of them.

The only driver which sort of works is the nw8000 XP driver, however this
does not support Aero and is not stable, for example the Winows Performance
Update crashes the system when this driver is installed.

Any good ideas? Is anyone running Vista with a nw8000 successfully?

Thanks
Chris
Old November 29th 06, 10:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MarkusF

Hi Chris, have the exact same issue and run xp drivers as well.
Currently I believe it is due to the system bios. I use f17 on (you can
see it in msinfo32). On the HP site for the nw8000 drivers I can see in
the revision history of the Bios that f16 introduced a new video Bios
as well.
I tried earlier BIOS versions as well but suspect that reverting to
older system bios does not correctly revert video bios to earlier
versions.
I know of at least one nw8000 with F14 bios that runs the vista rtm
grafic drivers and of two f17 nw8000 which fail...

Please let me know you Bios version :-)

--
MarkusF
MarkusF's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=19708

http://www.techarena.in

Old November 30th 06, 08:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ChrisKK

Hello Markus,

I was able to solve the issue myself, it was no BIOS problem (I have the
latest BIOS from the HP site).

I disabled all unnecessary hardware (parallel/serial ports, infrared, PCMCIA
cards, ...) in the device manager and was then successfully able to install
the driver for the FireGL which Microsoft supplies with Vista, Aero works
great now.

Then I reenabled the devices one by one and found out that my PCMCIA ISDN
card from Eicon (Diva Pro) seems to be the troublemaker, if I enable this
together with the FireGL driver, the screen blanks after the reboot. A Vista
driver for that card is supplied by Microsoft, but this seems to be causing
the troubles, a Vista driver from the manufacturer is not yet available.

Best regards
Chris