Memory Problems!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 1st 08, 08:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Lagree[_2_]

Default Memory Problems!!!!!!!!!!!

I built this computer about a year ago. I installed Vista Home Premium
64 bit along with 4x1 gig sticks of dual sided RAM. Vista memory test
said that everything was good. Recently I`ve been getting an error
message telling me that the Superfetch has stopped working. This usually
happens while running memory intensive programs. I checked out
Superfetch and it was set to Start and Automatic. I did another memory
test with Vista memory test tool and this time it tells me that I have a
hardware problem. At the end of the test it is supposed to reboot and
give me a detail list of the errors but instead I get another error
message telling me that "windows has failed to start put in the
installation disk and use the repair option." When I try to repair with
the disk it tells me that I should remove A recent USB device that I
have on my computer such as a music player. The only USB devices I have
connected to the computer is my keyboard, mouse and printer. I use the
computer to charge my ipod but I have long since removed it. I don`t
know what to do. I tried swapping out each individual stick of RAM and
running the memory test but I get the same results. All of the sticks
can`t be bad can they? I reinstallled the motherboard drivers. Same
results. Vista also keeps telling me that I need to activate. I
activated 4 times already. The activation was successful but Vista just
keeps asking me to activate. I have`nt made any major hardware changes
except for swapping the memory to do the tests. Please help. Your time
is greatly appreciated.
P.S. Other memory tests say that the memory is fine.

--
John Lagree
Old May 1st 08, 09:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
roy69[_196_]

Superfetch is a directory on the computer that is used when vista loads.

Try your memory check from a bootable floppy or memory stick.
I would run chkdsk or try a repair of vista as it sounds like you may
have corrupt files on your computer.
Have you checked the temp on your cpu (accessed via bios). Overheating
can cause all sorts of errors. I would advise changing the paste on
your cpu each year and as you have had your computer about a year this
makes sense. Artic silver is a good brand.
If you go into computer management you can get to your performance and
error logs. This may be a good place to look to see if any other errors
are arising that have not presented them selves yet.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Dual Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
Old May 1st 08, 09:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scrooge[_63_]

try removing the printer and see if that helps.

--
scrooge
Old May 1st 08, 10:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kam_sergius

Superfetch is one service capable of trashing your hard drive. It's also
a resource hog. Disabling it was the first thing I did after I installed
Vista and the system is now running real smoothly. I advise disabling
it,'coz it seems to be of no use.

--
kam_sergius
Old May 2nd 08, 11:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Lagree[_2_]

ok I ran CHDSK. Same results. Uninstalled printer. Same results. CPU
temp is 89 degrees farenheit. Generated system heath report and got this
"The Device, pcouffin device....,is disabled. If this device is no
longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for
this device is ROOT\PCOUFFIN\0000". It goes on to tell me to disable the
device if I am no longer using it. I don`t no what it is or how to find
it to disable it. I also don`t know how to check memory using bootable
floppy. And I`m a little leery about disabling superfetch. Are you sure
that is safe to do?

--
John Lagree

Old May 3rd 08, 12:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Lagree[_2_]

thankyou very much your help and time are appreciated

--
John Lagree