Users are unable to change domain password

Old May 1st 08, 03:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kevin M

Default Users are unable to change domain password

Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction. Our network is 2003 AD with
XP clients and about 120 vista enterprise machines. When you try to change
your domain password on a vista box is tells you the username or password are
incorrect, doing the same on XP machine is fine.

We have another seperate 2003 AD network using the same Vista image, here we
have no problem.

Everyone group would appear to have change password permissions, like I say
all on XP is fine but not Vista on this AD. We have update to SP1 on Vista,
no change and Group Policy looks fine.

Thanks

Kevin
Old May 3rd 08, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Glen[_4_]

For my money, downgrade vista to xp and avoid vista like it is the black
plague. No vista machine is going on my network if I can help it.

Old May 3rd 08, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Carsten Kinder [MSFT]

Kevin,

what is the exact error message that you are receiving on the Vista
computers?

--
Carsten Kinder
Microsoft Services

Old May 5th 08, 09:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kevin M

Carsten, we get "The username or password is incorrect". We can change the
password using XP machines or the change password feature on Outlook Web
Access, basically anywhere apart from the Vista Machines.

Can't see any errors, DNS and AD appear fine with any test and GPUpdate can
be run without error.

Kevin

Old May 8th 08, 02:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kevin M

Cartsen, did we get any futher with the previous post I added? Always shows
"Incorrect username or password", it's like some sort of translation problem.

I know a German vista problem was fixed but its not exactly the same fault.

Old May 14th 08, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jay

Hi Kevin,

I just had this same problem today on Vista 32 bit. Had to fire up a XP VPC
to reset my password. Did you get any answers on this yet?

Jay

Old May 15th 08, 12:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kevin M

Jay, I have just resolved this issue but still don't know what caused the
fault.

I have just added a 2008 DC in to my domain today, ran /forestprep
/domainprep then just the usual DC promo. Went to a workstation that was
already logged on and changed the password without issue.

I'm wondering if it was something the new AD schema changes fixed or does
the New DC have a permission set correctly the others do not?

Maybe an AD corruption issue of some sort resolve by actions above.

Old May 20th 08, 10:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kevin M

OK, this has now came back again to bite me. Nothing has changed in the
config since the new 2008 DC was installed. Something is being re-applied to
stop this working.

Old September 2nd 09, 10:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
marriusvd

Does anyone have a solution to this. We've been running around for the
last 2-3 months. The users were all working 100%.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Running Windows Vista SP1
AD = Windows Server 2003

Users migrated to new Domain and Vista.

The user has to go to a non-migrated workstation to change the
password.

Our problem also only seems to be on Notebooks (various vendors).

Thanx

--
marriusvd