Cannot write to drive "Media is write protected"

Old August 6th 08, 07:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jukka77

Default Cannot write to drive "Media is write protected"

Hi,

for me the problem reappeared a few days after I had updated my
SATA/RAID controller drivers. So that wasn't it. Instead I connected the
drive onto a different SATA controller (that was about a week ago), and
it* seems *as if that has solved it for me. No idea why, though...

--
jukka77
Old August 9th 08, 04:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
psychosmurf

I was having this same issue when I was using Windows XP x64 and I'm
having it now with Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have six internal hard
drives and seven external hard drives and it seems like in my testing
that the last one or two drives that show up in the OS are the ones that
invariably come up write-protected. I'm pretty sure its a 64-bit bug.
Does anyone have a solution yet? I'm seriously considering writing a
script to run on login that will automatically remove the write
protection. This is driving me insane not to mention causing me to have
to unplug and replug my drives unnecessarily to get them usable again.
Is Microsoft listening? Hello, is this thin on?

--
psychosmurf

Old August 9th 08, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
psychosmurf[_2_]

If you have drives that are encrypted with PGP and the show up
write-protected; don't try the diskpart trick. it'll only make the
drive completely unmountable. I found that out the hard way; was able
to recover the data but it cost me two days of decryption.

--
psychosmurf

Old August 13th 08, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jape

"psychosmurf" wrote:

If you have drives that are encrypted with PGP and the show up
write-protected; don't try the diskpart trick. it'll only make the
drive completely unmountable. I found that out the hard way; was able
to recover the data but it cost me two days of decryption.

--
psychosmurf

I have exact same problem with Vista x64 Ultimate but it only occurs in
those hard disk partitions wich i have partitioned with vistas own disk
management, my other hard disk is partittioned with winxp disk management and
does not have that problem.
Old August 13th 08, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
psychosmurf[_3_]

Jape;949598 Wrote:
I have exact same problem with Vista x64 Ultimate but it only occurs in
those hard disk partitions wich i have partitioned with vistas own disk
management, my other hard disk is partittioned with winxp disk
management and does not have that problem.

That's very interesting. It almost seems like this is occurring
randomly to many different people with different configurations. All of
my drives that are hitting this were partitioned and formatted in
Windows XP and are external. The only drive I have that was created by
Vista is the drive Vista is installed on; all the rest are leftovers
from my XP x64 days, which of course had exactly the same problem. I
really hope they fix this soon; its so frustrating not being able to use
one or two (and yesterday is was three) hard drives because they are
showing write-protected after every single reboot and not being able to
encrypt the data on the drive for fear of losing it at the next reboot.

--
psychosmurf

Old August 17th 08, 09:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
rumjungle

I'm getting the same issue with an internal HD that I use for data
storage. There must be some kind of definitive fix for this.

--
rumjungle
Old August 17th 08, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Johan ALfort

Basicly what I did with my 3 external drives was to go to:

This computer
Locate the drive
Right click - Properties
Security
In the lower right, choose Advanced
Lower Left, choose Edit

Now here was my problem. Having put the files there on one computer
that crashed alot then moving it to my new computer, I had some weird
owerships and inheritatits from the old computer. What I basicly did,
was to remove ALL of the permissions then adding My user name and,
System, and Administrator. You can also add Users and Authenticated
Users (look up the names on your main drive that always works).

It took a while for the disk to set the permissions to all
folders/subfolders and so on, but now everything works like a charm.
Could be worth a try.

PS. Also works after reboot

--
Johan ALfort
Johan ALfort's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/johan-alfort.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old August 18th 08, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
psychosmurf[_4_]

Thanks, Johan, I'll give this a try and see what happens. I hope
something works as this is driving me nuts.

--
psychosmurf

Old August 19th 08, 07:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
psychosmurf[_5_]

YIKES!! I think you might have found the solution, Johan. It took me a
good five hours to reset the security on all my files but I've rebooted
three times now and still no read-only drives. I still want to get a
few more reboots in before I get to optimistic but so far things look
great!!!!

--
psychosmurf

Old August 28th 08, 05:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
psychosmurf[_6_]

Now Vista seems to be write protecting the media on whims. I haven't
rebooted in four days and a drive that was fine yesterday is now
write-protected. What a pain in the ass.

MICROSOFT ARE YOU THERE!?!?!?! HELLLLLLLO THIS IS A PROBLEM, PLEASE
FIX IT!

--
psychosmurf