Cannot write to drive "Media is write protected"

Old September 5th 08, 11:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Johan ALfort[_2_]

Default Cannot write to drive "Media is write protected"

Well, so it still writes protects the disc sometimes, but unlike before
I find that now all I need to do is unplug the power so the harddrive
"reboots" and then it works again. It's atleast better than before but
it's still not 100%
Also, the time it writes protects is after and only after a computer
crash. Might infact be the drive itself that writeprotects itself if it
notice a system failure, in that case...thats good news

Hope this works for you also psychosmurf!

--
Johan ALfort
Johan ALfort's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/johan-alfort.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old September 14th 08, 07:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
xGo

rumjungle;811312 Wrote:
I'm getting the same issue with an internal HD that I use for data
storage. There must be some kind of definitive fix for this.

Same problem here, caused by changing SATA ports....or what is it
something else?!

--
xGo
Old September 16th 08, 07:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ichbinder

Johan ALfort;88148 Wrote:
What I basicly did, was to remove ALL of the permissions then adding
My user name and, System, and Administrator. You can also add Users
and Authenticated Users (look up the names on your main drive that
always works).

It took a while for the disk to set the permissions to all
folders/subfolders and so on, but now everything works like a charm.
Could be worth a try.

PS. Also works after reboot

I have the same hell of a problem and wanted to try your approach
Johan. But I actually can't because when I try to click "OK" or "Apply"
after removing the old and adding the new permission entries it starts
but immediatelly gets this error:
"An error occurred while applying security information to:
Z:\PATH\TO\SOME\FILE\_\I\THINK\FIRST\ONE
The media is write protected."

So it looks like I have to possibility at all to change my permissions.
Perhaps it works under XP on my Laptop to unset the write-protection.
Or any other suggestions?!

--
ichbinder
ichbinder's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=445

Old September 24th 08, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Johan ALfort[_3_]

I've reinstalled and I've fixed drivers and all so the system is more
stable and so far I haven't had any problems with the disks for months
now.

Ichbinder:
Sorry to say that I don't have any more suggetions. Do you have admin
account and all that? If yes then I don't know what it is. This seems to
be more than one problem and it doesn't seem like anyone out there is
listening to it.

I hope you guys find solutions for the problem. You should talk to the
manufacturers of the harddrives and see if you can get it replaced cause
in my opinion this is not a working harddrive.

Good luck out there, If I stumble upon something, I'll post it here!

Old September 27th 08, 12:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mpcrsc562

i have had this problem for some time now as well. i have an 80G hard
drive that was removed from a notebook and the hard drive was installed
in an enclosure. i would use the drive between two computers, sometimes
three: 1 vista home premium x64, 1 vista home premium x86, and 1 vista
business (mostly between the two vista home premium computers, as both
of those are mine). anyway, the hard drive would work with the notebook
(x86) and when i would attach it to the desktop (x64) i would get the
write protected error. i got it to work before by right clicking the
drive icon in my computer and going to the security tab. i would then
enable the permissions. then it would work fine.

strange thing happened this morning though--when i went to enable
permissions (because lo and behold, i got the write protection error
again this morning!), all of the permissions were enabled. so, i went to
device manager, selected the disk, and uninstalled it. after
uninstalling it, i detached the drive from my computer, waited a few
seconds, then reattached the drive. the computer had to reinstall the
driver software and everything worked fine--i was able to delete from
and copy to the drive with no problem.

i just hope that it stays right.

--
mpcrsc562
Old October 3rd 08, 06:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ichbinder[_2_]

@Johan ALfort: thanks for your attention and suggestions but I don't
think that this is a problem of the hard disks themselves but a drivers
or windows vista problem... And yeah, I have admin account but the
problem seams to be some kind of deadlock or so... weirdo stuff?!

I just can approve to what mpcrsc562 describes:
the hard drives I use are protected by truecrypt so I have to mount
them by select a drive in truecrypt and then type in my password... so,
the (not really) funny thing is now: sometimes a drive is write
protected and I can't change the properties of the disk to make it
writeable and sometimes it just works very well and I can create, modify
and delete files...

Old October 17th 08, 11:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frostikkel

Hi, I have the same problem.
Suddenly, unable to create files or directories on my data-disk that's
in RAID 1.
Security-settings were OK but I even couldn't make changes to the
security-settings .
The only thing that changed since yesterday : a windows update that was
pending for more then a week.
So I did a system restore to yesterday and now the disk is writable
again.
I'm not sure which update causes this problem, but I will give you the
list of updates that were installed yesterday :

- Windows Vista

- Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Vista
for x64-based Systems (KB956391)
- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
for x64-based Systems (KB956390)
- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB954211)
- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB956841)
- Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB957095)
- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - October 2008
(KB890830)
- Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista for x64-based
Systems (KB955519)
- Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter for x64-based Systems
[October 2008] (KB905866)

- Office 2007 -------------------------------------------------------
- Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB955936)
- Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB955470)
- Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter
(KB957258)

Could it be an update of this list that causes the write-protection?

--
Frostikkel
Old October 23rd 08, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JimmiG

Hi all. I found this thread thanks to Google. I've got two internal
harddrives, one 640GB WD SE16 (C and one 500GB Samsung T166 (D.
They're hooked up the AMD SB600 southbridge and I've got the AMD AHCI
driver version 3.1.1540.11. I've also got an external 500GB drive that I
only connect when performing backups or restoring data.

I was running XP 32-bit, then Vista 32-bit without issues. After having
switched to Vista 64-bit, my D drive will now randomly become write
protected. All the fixes I've tried so far only have a temporary effect.
The disk always eventually write protects itself again, sometimes within
minutes, sometimes after several days. This is crazy!

I don't know if this is a bug with Vista 64-bit or if the actual
upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit caused the issue. I've done the ownership
thing, the MBRFix, the diskpart bit etc. I've also checked for viruses.

--
JimmiG
JimmiG's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jimmig.htm

Old October 27th 08, 07:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frostikkel

Today, I installed the pending updates again to see that they where the
cause of the problem.
But now seems everything OK..
Guess it wasn't an automatic update ..

--
Frostikkel
Old October 27th 08, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JimmiG[_3_]

I think I've fixed the problem.
I tried all the AMD AHCI drivers I could find: 2.5.1540.35 and .39
(latest Asus driver I believe) both fail to keep the drive write
enabled, as does 3.1.1540.11 (SB7xx driver). Version 2.5.1540.43, which
for some reason is the latest SB600 driver available at AMD's own
homepage also fails. I did not try 3.1.1540.50 which is the latest SB7xx
driver, since it's not really meant for my SB600 southbridge.

However build 2.5.1540.48 available from the MSI K9A2 download page
seem to work. After installing them and rebooting, neither harddrive has
showed up as "Read Only" for days. I've got an Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe
mobo, but the AHCI driver works with any brand.

So in my case it wasn't a security or permissions problem, but rather
an AHCI driver problem. It seems most 64-bit versions of AMD's AHCI
drivers fool Vista into thinking the harddrive is physically write
protected. So if you've got an AMD board and experience this problem,
there's a possible solution.