eSATA Drive Question

Old May 28th 08, 11:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
earlgrey9

Default eSATA Drive Question

I am having an eSATA detection problem with my computer. recently installed
a new motherboard, and an add on eSATA host controller card ,(This uses the
jMicron JMB363 chip)- this card is plugged into the pci express x 4 slot.
Anyway, I downloaded and installed the drivers, I see no problems/conflicts
with the host controller when I look at the hardware manager in windows XP,
it says the device is working properly. Unfortunately, it never detects the
external SATA when I plug it in. However, if I plug it into USB, the drive
is detected no problem. When I plug this drive into my other computer it
appears to work fine (The eSATA is on the motherboard and I am using Vista
Home premium on this computer). It would be nice to use the speed of the
SATA during backups.
Any suggestions?
My system config:
Windows XP SP3, ASUS P5K-VM motherboard, Core 2 duo E4500, 2GB ram, Kingwin
PCI express to 2 SATA II and 1 PATA host controller model U2PCI-2.
I am using is a Thermaltake Silver River Duo A2396 hard drive enclosure with
a 320GB Western digital SATA II.

--
Jn 3.16

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

No annoyance. The thread went on and on and explored all the ins and outs
of booting and installing Windows with BIOS changes, etc. There just isn't
anything new I have to add. Most of the dialog was between you and another
fella and I mostly listened in.

"Anna" wrote in message

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
Assuming you are responding to my point about eSATA connections on a
laptop I would certainly be interested to know which laptops have
them. My Lenovo R50e certainly doesn't!
--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
For laptops without a eSATA port but with an ExpressCard/34 slot, there
are several adaptors like:
http://www.iogear.com/product/GPS702e3W6/
or

For laptops with eSATA onboard see for example the ASUS C90S (click on
the specs link below the thumbnails):
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/spec/spec_C90S.asp
Or if you prefer the specs on the ASUS site (I hate the slowness of the
ASUS site some days):
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...&m odelmenu=2

There are some others but all I know of are gaming laptops so far. I
have not tried booting off a hard drive connected to one of these
onboard ports like on the C90S because I don't have a laptop so
equipped but it should work. I know it is more of a problem booting
off of a hard drive connected to an eSATA ExpressCard adaptor, however.

"Anna" wrote in message
Jeff & Colin:
Notebooks equipped with an eSATA port are indeed a rare commodity. To
the best of my knowledge ASUS is the only major player that has released
a few models with an eSATA port. I'm not aware of Acer, Dell,
Gateway, Compaq, Sony, etc. having *any* models with an eSATA port. If
they're out there, they're few & far between, that's for sure. More's
the pity, of course.

Some time ago I had occasion to work with one of the ASUS notebooks that
came equipped with an eSATA port (I can't recall the model #) and we
were able to boot from that port with a SATA HDD that had been the
recipient of the cloned contents of the notebook's internal HDD. That
was no surprise, of course, since every eSATA port that we've worked
with on various desktop PCs have proven to be "bootable". (For that
matter it really makes *no* difference whether the port is a "normal"
SATA one or an eSATA one). A bootable external SATA HDD connected to
either type of port will boot. Obviously we're talking about
motherboards that support SATA capability.

We have never been able to boot from a CardBus (a/k/a PCMCIA) equipped
with either a SATA or eSATA port. We've concluded that it's just not
a bootable device.

As I mentioned in my previous post, we're still experimenting with
various ExpressCard devices to determine their potential "bootability".
Every one we've come across is equipped with an eSATA port and they're
supposed to provide boot capability. However, our experience has been
mixed to date although we were able to boot from a SATA HDD connected to
an Addonics eSATA ExpressCard.

Colin, if you've had any direct experience with an eSATA ExpressCard I'd
like to hear about it.
Anna

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
We had this conversation a month or more ago. Remember? I don't have
any new reason to revisit it.

Colin:
No, I really don't recall our "conversation a month or more ago". But do I
detect a note of annoyance in your response? If so, may I ask why?
Anna

Old May 28th 08, 01:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Anna

"earlgrey9" wrote in message
[...]

earlgrey9:
Following bootup with the external SATA HDD connected, access Device Manager
and right-click on "Disk drives" and then "Scan for hardware changes". That
might do the trick of detecting the drive.

If not...

I take it your SATA HDD is in an external enclosure that has both
SATA-to-SATA connectivity as well as the USB interface, right? And the
enclosure's SATA port is an eSATA port, right?

I'm assuming that if you would *directly* connect the SATA HDD to one of the
motherboard's SATA connectors there would be no problem. (Obviously the
drive's source of power would come from a direct connection to your system's
power supply).

Anyway, since the external SATA HDD works while connected to an eSATA port
on another PC we can assume there's no problem either with the drive nor the
external enclosure.

So that, of course, leaves the SATA controller card. We'll assume that you
correctly connected the card & its drivers. What's the make & model of the
card? Have you checked with the card's manufacturer (assuming there's a
website available) to see if they could shed any light on the problem?

Any chance of installing the card in your other machine to see what happens
there?

As an aside...over the years we've run into so many incompatibility problems
with these SATA PCI controller cards that we're loathe to recommend them as
a general proposition. Assuming we're dealing with a desktop machine we
usually recommend an eSATA adapter along these lines...
http://www.provantage.com/scripts/ca...tspecs/STRT0HA
(That particular model is equipped with an internal power plug so that power
to the SATA HDD can be supplied through the system's own PS. But there are
other models that just have the SATA or eSATA port and power would be
supplied through the external enclosure such as the one you have).

What about trying another PCI slot?

Anna

Old May 28th 08, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
andy

On Wed, 28 May 2008 04:21:00 -0700, earlgrey9
wrote:

I am having an eSATA detection problem with my computer. recently installed
a new motherboard, and an add on eSATA host controller card ,(This uses the
jMicron JMB363 chip)- this card is plugged into the pci express x 4 slot.
Anyway, I downloaded and installed the drivers, I see no problems/conflicts

I assume the driver you downloaded and installed was not U2PCI-2.exe,
because it contains the driver for the SiI 3x12 chip.

Old May 29th 08, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
earlgrey9

Thank you for your thoughtful consideration I usually don't do forums
cause I can usually figure things out

There was some other troubleshooting stuff I did, but did not want to be too
long winded in my first post to this group

I did try going into the device manager SCSI and Raid Controllers right
click on Jmicron JMB36X controller Scan for hardware changes. This did not
work.
I tried unplugging the eSATA cable and replugging it in to get autodetect to
see it. No dice.

-My SATA is in an external enclosure, with its own power supply. Looks like
a regular ac adapter.
-The enclosure has a switch and 2 connectors. 1 eSATA and 1 usb 2.0. Just
flip switch to eSATA or USB and plug in the corresponding cable.

-earlier I had the problematic mothrboard installed in my Vista machine and
detection was ok under Vista, but flaky after vista SP1 was installed. I
decided to buy another with a built in eSATA controller, thinking there might
be a potential conflict between the onboard sata ports and the Kingwin
controller card.

Getting back to the current problem, I tried downloading drivers from 3
sources. 1. Kingwin, 2. JMicron, 3. ASUS (I downloaded the driver for the
motherboard that had the built in eSATA since it has the same JMicron chip
and would likely use the same driver and interrupts. ) None of these drivers
worked. I could get the computer to see the card, it would say "This device
is working properly" but the card would not see a drive connected.

-I remembered on some computers I've built in the past, a message just after
POST that said something like "press F _ to load 3rd party Raid drivers" But
apparenty I don't have that option for this motherboard.
If I try running the raid setup software from windows XP, it says no raid
drives detected.

-If I go into BIOS setup, I only see the local SATA drives.

-I only have one pci express x4 slot, the other express slot is x16 for
the display adapter so I am stuck with this slot.

-Here's another stray thought I had, if I bought a SATA card with eSATA
ports, and disabled the onboard SATA controller, would I have better luck?
What do you think?

I think I am agreeing with your statement on compatability problems and pci
cards.
I will look at the link you gave me...

Thanks!

Jn 3.16

Old May 29th 08, 09:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Donald L McDaniel[_4_]

"Anna" wrote:

"earlgrey9" wrote in message
[...]

Here's what I've done:
1) I have settings in the BIOS to allow me to run SATA drives in
either RAID-mode, AHCI-mode, or IDE-mode. I chose to use IDE
emulation, when I was unable to install XP in RAID mode without using
the floppy I received with my computer which contained the RAID
driver, since my machine has no floppy drive. In fact, my Intel
motherboard doesn't even have an option to use a floppy -- no floppy
controller or connector on the motherboard.
2) I also installed Vista in IDE-emulation mode, and have had little
trouble since, other than the eSATA drive disappearing after running
for an hour or more.

Both SATA drives (the internal as well as the external) are running at
DMA 6. And I can run Windows completely from the eSATA drive, if I
choose. There is a small pause each time I access the eSATA when
running it as boot device, but the pause is almost imperceptible.

Don't know if this will help, but I hope it does.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
Old May 31st 08, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rutetuti

Hi,

I think you will find that this is a known issue with ASUS MB's. A
workaround is available at this link,
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Good luck.

Old May 31st 08, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul[_2_]

Rutetuti wrote:
Hi,

I think you will find that this is a known issue with ASUS MB's. A
workaround is available at this link,
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Good luck.

I reviewed the hardware setup of "earlgrey9", and he has the following.

These are on the P5K-VM motherboard.

ICH9
4 SATA ports, manual is unclear about AHCI support (bios options not mentioned)
Jmicron
JMB20368 PCI Express to PATA Host Controller (controls one PATA connector on motherboard)

He has added an extra card. PCI Express based. He doesn't say
what the card is. It could be based on a JMB20366 for example
A JMB20366 would give 2 PATA and 2 SATA ports. The different
chips might be covered by a 2036X driver.

This Startech card is an example.

http://www.startech.com/item-downloa...ller-Card.aspx

The Startech manual says to press control-J while in the BIOS,
to access the RAID BIOS on the Startech card. In there, you may
see the ESATA drive being detected. (You shouldn't have to
touch the single drive, or set it up as a RAID volume. Looking
in the RAID BIOS screen, if you can get there, is purely to
see whether the BIOS sees the drive.)

Startech seems to use a RAID driver for the card, so it is possible
that AHCI mode and a non-RAID prepared drive, would be picked up by that
driver. In some previous posts, people have been using ACHI
drivers to get hot-plug working on SATA. Since Jmicron doesn't
offer such a thing, either they expect it to come from the
Microsoft default driver, or via the Jmicron RAID driver. And
I don't know of a way to verify what capabilities exist with
either of those drivers. The Startech driver package has a
"jraid.sys" and that might be the driver associated with the
ESATA port.

So, some more details, such as the PCI Express card used,
the chip number if it is visible, and what driver files are
associated with the ESATA port, might shed more light on the
problem of "hot-plug" failure.

Paul