64 bit memory

Old May 5th 08, 06:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
angelo621

Default 64 bit memory

i have 4 gig of memory on my pc. i reinstall my vista. after the
installation, my machine said that i only have 3gig. where is my
remaining 1 gb (i put 4gb) on it. before i reinstall it my pc read my
4gb of RAM. but now 3gb only. plz help:cry:

--
angelo621
Old May 5th 08, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"angelo621" wrote in message

i have 4 gig of memory on my pc. i reinstall my vista. after the
installation, my machine said that i only have 3gig. where is my
remaining 1 gb (i put 4gb) on it. before i reinstall it my pc read my
4gb of RAM. but now 3gb only. plz help:cry:

--
angelo621

A 32bit operating system can only address a TOTAL of 4gb.

Motherboards, depending on make and spec, account for anything between 512mb
and 1.25gb of resource. In this way, some of the total address space is
already accounted BEFORE any RAM is installed on the board.

Memory will work better when used in matched pairs in a two slot system, and
two matched sets (all the same capacity) in a four slot system.

So a system works best with 2 x 512mb, 2 x 1gb, 4 x 512mb, 4 x 1gb, 4 x 2gb,
and 4 x4gb..

Installing 3gb RAM into a 32bit system make be more economical, and it will
not seem like 1gb of the installed RAM is being wasted. The truth is that
the extra 1gb is not wasted because there is a performance benefit to be had
by memory matching.

Installing SP1, you will notice that Windows shows all of the 4gb, but the
system will still only address 3gb of it..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old May 6th 08, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Clevo[_49_]

angelo621;703462 Wrote:
i have 4 gig of memory on my pc. i reinstall my vista. after the
installation, my machine said that i only have 3gig. where is my
remaining 1 gb (i put 4gb) on it. before i reinstall it my pc read my
4gb of RAM. but now 3gb only. plz help:cry:

I remember reading somehwere that when installing 64bit OS install it
with 2gig RAM, when installed and tested shut down then add the two
remaining gigs...reboot and it should be fine.

There is also a windows update that corrects this issue

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
Old May 6th 08, 06:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
angelo621

thanks guys. but i use 64 bit ultimte. as i said b4 it happened, my pc
read that i have 4 gb. but after i re-install it, it became 3007gb as it
says.
i also reboot it.
thanks clevo and mvp

--
angelo621
Old May 6th 08, 05:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
angelo621

is it advisable to do remapping? i read somewhre to do bios remap. any
advise?
i also use dxdiag and it says that i have 2.93 gb but i put 2 stick of
2gb(total of 4gb)in my mobo.
i want to see again my 4gb of RAM.pls help:shock:

--
angelo621
Old May 7th 08, 07:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
angelo621

arty:arty:arty:arty:arty:arty:
i solved it. my mobo bios have memory remmaping so i just enable it.

i ust go to bios, andvance, advence chipset settings , north bridge
chipset confi, enable MEMORY REMAP FEATURE.

thanks.

--
angelo621