Removing Quick Launch buttons

Old May 6th 08, 09:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
...[_2_]

Default Removing Quick Launch buttons

Hi, I have HP Compaq 6710b Vista. I am trying to remove Quick Launch
buttons, because they annoy me. Have tried everything, including
uninstalling the QLB software.

Update:

I have tried searching the registry for anything QLB-related, but only
found following two locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Software
Explorers\Disabled RunKey\Run
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-239277579-2818820354-3002204094-1006\Software
\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Control Panel

These are just Disabled or Adjusted properties, and probably of no
use. So to me it appears that there is nothing I can do using
registry.

Tried searching the hard drive for "qlb" or "quick launch", but apart
from some folders and system log files, also little help (There were
two folders "QLB" and "QLBTEMP" in C:/SWSetup. I tried removing these
folders, and restarting computer, but QL buttons still work)

One more idea I had was to disable the keys through registry. Some
time ago I succeded in disabling the Caps Lock key, using the
following procedu

Go to Start $B"*(B Run $B"*(B regedit
Go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
Right-click on the right half of the screen and choose New $B"*(B Binary
Name the new Value Scancode Map
Enter 00000000000000000200000000003A0000000000
Close the "Registry Editor" by selecting "Exit" from the "File" menu.
Reboot.

The "3A" in above code it hexadecimal (Scan Code) referring to the
Caps Lock. So my idea was to use corresponding hexadecimals for QL
buttons, to disable them. To find the hexadecimals I used KeyView
program (http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/home/tef/wintools/keyview.exe). I
found following Scan Codes for the QL buttons (left to right)

Decimal: 89, 8, 32, 46, 48 (all except bluetooth button)
Hex: 59, 8, 20, 2e, 30

However, there are overlaps with my existing keyboard buttons:

8 - overlaps with "7"
32 - overlaps with "d"
46 - overlaps with "c"
48 - overlaps with "b"

So clearly there are problems using this method. The KeyView program
picks up the QL buttons having same Scan Codes as some existing
buttons, so I doubt I can disable QL buttons like this.

I'm not sure what else to try ... may be the only solution is to go to
a computer shop and ask them to open up my laptop and unplug the QLB
bar.

Too bad HP made so difficult to customise its product.
Old May 6th 08, 11:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David Vair

Why don't you just right click the taskbar, when the menu opens up so will
see one called toolbars. Go to that one and when the sub-menu opens up
uncheck the Quick Launch one.

--
David Vair
CNE,CNA,MCP,A+,N+

Old May 6th 08, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mafia_boy

as David Vair says, its such a simple one to do, i dont know what you
were doing editing the reg on this one dude??????????? right click the
taskbar - toolbars and uncheck "quick launch" its as easy as that!!lol

--
mafia_boy

'[image: http://www.speedtest.net/result/211438431.png]'
(http://www.speedtest.net)
Old May 6th 08, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Brink

...;704066 Wrote:
Hi, I have HP Compaq 6710b Vista. I am trying to remove Quick Launch
buttons, because they annoy me. Have tried everything, including
uninstalling the QLB software.

I'm not sure what else to try ... may be the only solution is to go to
a computer shop and ask them to open up my laptop and unplug the QLB
bar.

Too bad HP made so difficult to customise its product.

In addition to the other posts, this tutorial may be of help for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72...ck-launch.html

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old May 7th 08, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
IkidUnot

Uh, guys I think you're telling him to disable the wrong Quicklaunch!

HP/Compaq laptops have a set of buttons at the top of the keyboard for
launching media center, etc.

I'm trying to tohink of other things you can try. I must admit, I would
have thought that killing the quicklaunch startup item would do the job.
Hmm...

--
-me.
Let this forum know if this helps or if you figure out the problem, so

"..." wrote:

[...]

Go to Start → Run → regedit
Go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
Right-click on the right half of the screen and choose New → Binary