Vista Banter

-   -   15'4 screen + ATI radeon (http://www.vistabanter.com/12258-154-screen-ati-radeon.html)

Alex November 28th 06 01:31 PM

15'4 screen + ATI radeon

Hi, I was about to buy a new laptop with a later upgrade to Vista, when i
noticed the following warning:

The combination of a 15.4" WSXGA+ screen & 128MB ATI® MOBILITYT RADEON®
X1300 graphic card will not be compatible with next generation Microsoft
operating system Vista Home Premium and Vista Business!

has anyone come across this and is there a resolution, apart from not buying
the laptop? presumably there must be loads of 15.4 laptops with that
particular graphicsd card.

Alex

JW November 28th 06 02:55 PM

15'4 screen + ATI radeon

Was the warning actually on the machine or its box or did you come across it
at another location.
I note that the warning does not say Vista Basic, which has less stringent
requirements then Vista Premium, will not run on the system.

Alex November 28th 06 03:22 PM

15'4 screen + ATI radeon

The warning was on the configuration screen of Dell web site when I was
working through customising my laptop.

I have since spoken to them and they have confirmed that it is correct.
They have offered me a different screen at 1440 x 900 which they say is OK.

i haven't had time to look at ATI web site to see what they say, but its a
bit of a bummer as we have about 20 new laptops of similar spec all less
than a year old, and we were going to upgrade the lot sooner or later.

VA November 28th 06 07:13 PM

15'4 screen + ATI radeon

FWIW, I'm running Vista Ultimate RTM (MSDN) on an Asus notebook with a 15.4"
WXSGA (1680 x 1050) widescreen and ATI Mobility X700 graphics with no issues.

I can't image why your Dell wouldn't work similarly.

"Alex" wrote in message
Hi, I was about to buy a new laptop with a later upgrade to Vista, when i
noticed the following warning:

The combination of a 15.4" WSXGA+ screen & 128MB ATIĀ® MOBILITYT RADEONĀ®