Windows Vista x64 searches 5 times longer than Windows XP!

Old May 10th 08, 06:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dima[_2_]

Default Windows Vista x64 searches 5 times longer than Windows XP!

Hello!
Why does Windows Vista x64 search so long, especially when the progress in
the bar is at the end and the ring is rolling (a replacement for the sand
glass)?
When a search is not "nearly instantaneous" it takes nearly forever. That
is, when you ask for an Advanced Search of Computer, the bar first goes
half-way across fairly quickly. Then it goes more slowly to about 3/4 of
the way, appearing to redraw the bar every second or so, then more slowly
still to 7/8, etc., getting closer to the end with each redraw - but never
quite reaching the end. I watch hopefully as it gets to the little
down-pointing triangle, thinking that it will give up when it gets there and
report that it can't find what it's searching for. But it doesn't. It
keeps creeping further, past the vertical separator at the end of the
Address Bar, and then at a maddeningly slow pace across the red "X" and...
hours later, the green bar is still being redrawn and it STILL hasn't got to
the end.
Windows XP Pro on the same computer (but on another HDD) searches for the
same files (on all HDDs) five times faster.
Sincerely,
Dima

Old May 10th 08, 07:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
marfi

Uzytkownik "Dima" napisal w wiadomosci
Windows XP Pro on the same computer (but on another HDD) searches for the
same files (on all HDDs) five times faster.

The same for me... Total Commander is 20 times faster than explorer...
horrible
--
marfi

Old May 10th 08, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Synapse Syndrome[_2_]

"Dima" wrote in message
[...]

It's worse than that. It also sometimes cannot find files that are clearly
there.

ss.

Old May 12th 08, 02:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. C. White

Hi, Dima.

Is there an echo in here?

This sounds like the discussion we had here a week or two ago. Yes, here it
is: started by you on 4/28/08, Subject: Why does Windows Vista x64 search
so long? Like this current post, it was cross-posted to 3 NGs; that thread
has 9 posts, of which 5 were from you. One is from me, one from Tony
Sperling and 2 from Colin Barnhorst.

The bulk of your current post is a cut-n-pasted direct quote from my post of
4/28/08 in that other thread. I don't mind your using my description of the
problem, but whenever you "borrow" text from somewhere, common courtesy (and
Netiquette) requires that you identify the source.

Have you found new information about this problem, Dima? Or are you just
asking the same question again?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old May 12th 08, 07:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dima[_2_]

No, I have not find any new information. It's strange that nobody knows a
resolution to the slow search in Vista!

Old May 13th 08, 10:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Tom ferguson

I am sure there are many who know how to "fix it", at least, in principle.
And many of them are at Microsoft. g

Without going into the details of search theory or methods of
implementation: It could well be that nothing is actually broken so does not
need fixing in the strict sense. Possibly, the search algorithms are
performing exactly as designed. However, it also might be true that they
could be better implemented. For example, they could be recoded into
assembly or direct machine code-seldom done now-but that's a topic for a
different place and time. As one example of a fast search-isoHunt, a Torrent
search engine, is very rapid considering the vast quantity of data indexed
however it retunes a quantity of false positives.

In designing any program, there are many trade-offs. All of them affect the
search speed. E.g. Do you do a full, all storage devices search or limit it
to a particular set of locations (Vista actually allows the user to modify
to search entire index or just user files). How highly do you value
reliability (same results on repeated searches of the same data),
accuracy/fuzziness (result matches target/result is a near match), &c. But
Here I am probably not saying anything you don't know.

In short, if it's not too late for that, we can be certain that these are
matters that are routinely reviewed as development goes forward as halting
and retrograde as that motion sometimes appears.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

Old May 14th 08, 07:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bobby Johnson[_2_]

They probably haven't found an answer either.

If someone had an answer they would have shared the information.

Old May 14th 08, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup and does not have monitors or moderators.
Unless another user has a suggestion or technical answer no one will reply.

Old May 16th 08, 05:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Tom ferguson

As Colin points out, this is a peer-to-peer help group. Sometimes MS softies
drop in but MS has no formal presence here.

As for your question, I have enough trouble accounting for myself without
dragging out "ye olde crystal ball" to divine anyone else's motivations. g
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007