computer hardware and network setup

Old November 28th 06, 09:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Default computer hardware and network setup

With vista, if I a to have a home network wiht three computers, file charing
and internet sharing, which setup would you recomend based on the hardware
styles:

a) an older desktop, 900mhz amd athlon with less than 512mb of RAM as the
main "hub" of the network, with 2 laptops that BLOW IT AWAY in everything
(memory, speed, size), but still have the desktop as the main "family
computer or

b) a top of the line AMD 64x2, with 2GB of RAM as the main "hub" of the
network, (famliy computer again), with the older desktp and a poweful laptop
(1.8GHZ turion 64 with 1GB of ram) sharing files and folders THROUGH the
powerful one.

By hub, I assume you know what I mean (its a very general term Im trying ot
use here)... I'm trying to say that it is the only one that will be WIRED to
the network, and it is the one in the office of the house.

Thanks in advacne for oyur opinion.
Old November 29th 06, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Hmmmmm.. I'm interested in this now. That's twice I've heard of this
recommendation, but I am interested in the ups and downs of intel core2 duo
over AMD 64x2 5000+... Which model of INtel Core2Duo would be ATELAST
equivalent to the 64x2 5000+? And what are the pros and cons of each model
compared to the other? Thanks in advance.

"Robert Moir" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Option "b)" Definately.

As an aside, right now I'd buy Intel's Core2Duo rather than Athlon, as the
Core2 is on top right now in terms of just about any measure that has any
bearing to real world use. If you wait for the new AMD 4x4 range to come out
then I might revise my opinion when I see that.

Old November 29th 06, 01:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Nevermind. I've made my processor choice... I just need one more person's
opinion on the orginial question (I'm trying to prove a point to someone that
option b is better, and they wont seem to belie ANYONE until they get SEVERAL
opinions on the subject.)

Old November 29th 06, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robert Moir

wrote:
Hmmmmm.. I'm interested in this now. That's twice I've heard of this
recommendation, but I am interested in the ups and downs of intel
core2 duo over AMD 64x2 5000+... Which model of INtel Core2Duo would
be ATELAST equivalent to the 64x2 5000+? And what are the pros and
cons of each model compared to the other? Thanks in advance.

Rather than spend a lot of time typing my thoughts here, which would just be
my opinion, I'm going to link to some of the sites and material I used to
form that opinion. I will say that pretty much the only thing it shares with
the Pentium 4 is the manufacturers name on the box. Runs much faster,
cooler, quieter and more energy efficient than any other performance chips
I've seen for a while.

I've got a E6400 (not quite entry level) chip in my current setup and I'm
very very pleased with how it performs. On some benchmarks, even that
outperforms the X2 5000+ though not by much. Rather than argue about minor
error points in benchmarks, I will say that on comparison shopping I appear
to have got performance broadly equal to the X2 5000 for about £50 ($95
USD?) less. I call that a good day at the office.

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/07/14...uk/page12.html

http://www.trustedreviews.com/cpu-me...E6700-X6800/p1

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2795

http://www.guru3d.com/article/processor/370/

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/..._e6400_review/

Old November 29th 06, 07:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ChrisC

Hi, I call it a good day in the office when I purchased a Core2 6300 that
will out perform yours and the top of the range 6800. Therefore it will
exceed a AMD easily...
ChrisC

Old December 1st 06, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robert Moir

ChrisC wrote:
Hi, I call it a good day in the office when I purchased a Core2 6300
that will out perform yours and the top of the range 6800. Therefore
it will exceed a AMD easily...

Indeed, but I don't overclock.

But it seems we are both happy, and that's what counts isn't it?