Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Create new partition of existing C: drive Vista

Old May 13th 08, 10:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
skibuz

Default Create new partition of existing C: drive Vista

I am attempting to create a new partition to store pictures. I have created
the unallocated space (reducing the space on my C: drive). When I complete
the drive wizard to assign the drive letter to the partition, I get the
following error:

You cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk
already contains the maximum number of partitions.

Fairly new Dell Inspiron 1525
Vista
C: 98GB
D: 9.77GB Recovery
Primary 39GB
Primary 2.5GB

Unassigned 40GB that I am trying to assign to a drive letter.

The 2 primary unassigned drives came with the computer. I did not create
them.

I was trying to create a new partition with
40GB that I took from my C: drive that originally had 140 GB. I got the
above error when I used the wizard to assign a drive letter to the new
partition.

Thank you for your help!
Old May 13th 08, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Carey Frisch [MVP][_2_]

It would be best if you purchased an external hard drive
for backing-up valuable files, such as pictures. If your
hard drive were to fail, you would likely lose everything,
including files stored on a different partition.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Old May 13th 08, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
skibuz

Carey,

Thank you for your response. I have an external hard drive for back up
purposes. I was wanting to keep my C: drive less 'cluttered' with my large
picture collection of my grandchildren. In the latest PC Magazine, in their
Vista "Working With Windows" article stated that Vista has a built in hard
drive partitioning tool that will let you take unused space from your main
partition and form an extra partition for storing photos and videos. The
utility resides in the Computer Management console...

On my old Dell XP desktop, I created partitions that worked very well for
this purpose. I was trying to use the Vista feature to accomplish the same
goal on my new laptop.

I hope this helps clarify what I am trying to accomplish.

Thank you!

Old June 2nd 08, 09:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Hey

Hi,

for drive partitioning in Vista for Dell, you will find help on the
following link: 'Create A Partition With Windows Vista | Computer Tips &
Optimization | Maui Blog' (http://tinyurl.com/287nj2)

hope it helps ya...

--
Hey

Old January 6th 13, 07:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
[email protected]

Windows built-in Disk Management cannot create a new partition when there are four partitions already on a MBR disk. If you still want to create a new partition, you need to use free third party software like AOMEI Partition Assistant.
http://www.disk-partition.com/free-p...n-manager.html