Windows Vista Video Card Problem

Old May 14th 08, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aaron Roberts

Default Windows Vista Video Card Problem

I use Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 which is Activated and completely
functional.. not ever had any issues with Hardware / Software until one day I
was just using Windows Media Center and went to play a Video and the playback
was really slow.

The Audio would play fine but the video would play in slow motion. This
happen completely randomly without any reason. Anyway, I quit Media Center
and there was a notice saying that my Graphics card does not meet the minimum
requirements and that some features may not work correctly.. So I started
Media Center again and noticed that none of the animations were working and
when I tried watching TV it said that it was missing files required to work.

Anyway, I played the Video using Windows Media Center.. same problem!

My Graphics Adapter is: ATI ALL-IN-WONDER X800 PRO with 128 MB VRAM. So
there should be NO problem at all with meeting minimum system requirements
and has a Rating of 5.2 in the Windows Experience Index.

I downloaded the Latest ATI Display Drivers after using the Windows release
from Windows Update (WDDM) to see if it would make a difference... no
change.. I removed the device from Device Manager and Re-installed from
scratch removing all previous driver information.. Still nothing had changed.

In the end.. I backed up my documents and Formatted the disk and
re-installed Windows Vista and installed the SP1 update via download from
Microsoft as the Full size Download instead of waiting for Windows Update.
Everything seemed fine.. Media Center was working correctly, Video's were
playing fine.. No problems at all!

I started to re-install the software that I had before.. nothing major..
just applications like Windows Live Messenger and iTunes etc..

Then ran Windows Update and got all the available updates and shut down as
normal.

Then I start the computer again the next day and everything seemed fine, no
problems displaying Windows and no lagging / slow performance. Started
another update and finished it all.. shut down then logged back on a few
hours later to see that everything had gone back to the way it was before I
re-installed Vista with no video's playing properly.. and Media Center's
Animations disabled and the warning message about the system requirements. So
now I started to suspect it may of been an actual physical problem with the
card.

I have a spare hard disk that I installed Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack
2 onto and ran for a little while so I booted into XP and ran Microsoft
Update to get it up to date! Left it for a few days working fine.. no
problems..even games run smoothly!! So it seems to be an issue with Microsoft
Windows Vista SP1! I need to be able to continue running Windows Vista
because not just have I payed for it... I need the Media Center Functionality.

Please help me to resolve this issue.. if more information is needed then I
can provide it quickly!

Thanks In Advance

Aaron Roberts
Old May 14th 08, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Try uninstalling the driver and rebooting. The system should then reinstall
the driver or you can do it manually. Also, check the website for the
manufacturer of your comptuer to see if a newer driver is available.

Old May 15th 08, 06:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aaron Roberts[_2_]

I've Done all of that.. also the computer is custom built and like I said..
I've never had this problem before.. it just randomly started happening.
Old May 16th 08, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

None of the tuners in All in Wonder cards are supported in Vista by ATI
since they require use of a software encoder in the driver.
When you download the latest drivers for the card from the ATI Website you
should the note that states that only drivers for the graphics output from
the card are contained in the drivers.