61883 Class Bus Device is supposed to be a camera

Old May 14th 08, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dwmarch

Default 61883 Class Bus Device is supposed to be a camera

Hello there, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have a Samsung SC-D372 Mini DV camera which connects to my PC via
Firewire. Once connected, my PC recognizes that it has a "61883 Class Bus
Device" attached but does not recognize what this device is. I have
encountered this same problem under Windows XP and Windows Vista.

There is nothing available from the manufacturer which helps. Samsung offers
two packages related to the D372 but neither of them contains a driver which
will help Windows understand the device that is connected to it. After
installing the "drivers" provided by Samsung and rebooting, the device still
comes up in Device Manager as "61883 Class Bus Device" with a yellow
exclamation mark next to it.

My research so far has shown that this issue is common to a lot of different
models of camera and has something to do with Windows not enumerating the
devices because the devices don't do bus resets. The Microsoft help page for
this suggests turning the device off and then on again which I have tried
many times to no avail.

I know the camera works because I have pulled video off of it with a
Macintosh. However I no longer have access to that computer. I know the
Firewire cable is good because Windows does recognize the camera but doesn't
know what to do with it. So how do I get Windows to understand that it is
talking to a Firewire camera?

I'm currently using Windows Vista Ultimate but as I said this has also
happened in Windows XP. Both systems were fully up to date.