Nvidia Cards on Vista x64 (RTM)

Old December 5th 06, 01:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CJM

Default Nvidia Cards on Vista x64 (RTM)

"Robert Moir" wrote in message
CJM wrote:

Well the retail release of Vista, at the end of Jan, is probably their
target. I'd expect finished drivers by then. Or just keep the x1950 and
move on with your life,

Yeah, the x1950 is running great anyway...

neither part is a DX10 card so you're not gaining anything there...

I have actually... I mean, Vista is offering better performance (according
to benchmarks) than XP, so life is better even with a DX9 card.

Old December 5th 06, 09:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kevin Gerry

Just as an "FYI", there are some 'beta' NVidia drivers that you can try...
Using them... Everything is a lot smoother, no artifacts... Only issue, is
some random slowness. (But I haven't had ANY crashes.)

Best of luck!

"CJM" wrote in message
I've just build myself a new high-end PC including a 7900GTO gfx card. I
dabbled with XP Pro but had a few graphical problems so I thought I'd
install Vista (rtm) instead, whcih I did. At first, everything looked OK,
but when I started using more demanding applications (i.e. 3D games) I
encountered some artifacting and distortion. Particularly in Battlefield
2, Civililzation IV, and Oblivion, but also periodically in Vista itself.
The problems in-game were consistent at least, and the problems wihin
Vista itself were intermittant, occasionally resulting in a STOP error.

I tried a (borrowed) 7300GS card (which doesnt need auxiliary power) and
it had the same problems in-game, which suggests the problems were not to
do with the original 7900GTO not the PSU. Obviously the most likely
candidates were Vista and/or Nvidia's drivers.

I tried a few drivers from various sources but could only get a couple to
install and neither were any better than the default Vista drivers.

I decided to by a high-end ATI card for comparison, and I installed an
X1950Pro last night. Using only the default Vista drivers, I suddenly
found everything worked great. So it seems the nvidia drivers might be the
problem after all.

I was just wondering if anyone had success or similar problems with
high-end Nvidia cards in Vista (RTM). I've seen nothing on the NVidia site
to indicate when final versions of the drivers will be realised; I'd like
to keep the 7900GTO if I could but obviously it's not usable at the
moment.

CJM

Old December 5th 06, 10:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robert Moir

CJM wrote:

I have actually... I mean, Vista is offering better performance
(according to benchmarks) than XP, so life is better even with a DX9
card.

*grin* well yes, but I meant to say it isn't a DX10 part so there isn't any
point in upgrading until there is a nice one of those ready. If the 1950 is
running better anyway then that makes standing on the cards you've already
been dealt even easier I guess.

Old December 6th 06, 01:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CJM

Interesting. I downloaded 97.27 from Guru3D but the zip file resulted in a
series of DLLs and no installer. Are these going to be same? If so, what are
you supposed to do with these files?

CJM

Old December 6th 06, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
HDFatBoy2003

Use Device Manager and select have disk ... then browse to the folder, it
will find the inf file and then you can install

Old December 6th 06, 03:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
HDFatBoy2003

Also, there is a version of 97.27 out there that has the setup.exe in it.
Don't remember where I got it but it's out there.

Old December 7th 06, 09:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CJM

"CJM" wrote in message
Interesting. I downloaded 97.27 from Guru3D but the zip file resulted in
a series of DLLs and no installer. Are these going to be same? If so,
what are you supposed to do with these files?

CJM

Thanks. I'll try that.

Old December 8th 06, 10:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
lvlman.1998

what get me is you can find beta drivers on guru3d.com of nvidia driver but
not on nvidia website what up with that.

Old December 9th 06, 12:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
HDFatBoy2003

the ones on Guru3d for the most part are leaked interim beta builds, that's
why they're not on nVidia's website.