Vista Banter

-   -   Nvidia Cards on Vista x64 (RTM) (http://www.vistabanter.com/12353-nvidia-cards-vista-x64-rtm.html)

CJM November 30th 06 11:49 AM

Nvidia Cards on Vista x64 (RTM)

I've just build myself a new high-end PC including a 7900GTO gfx card. I
dabbled with XP Pro but had a few graphical problems so I thought I'd
install Vista (rtm) instead, whcih I did. At first, everything looked OK,
but when I started using more demanding applications (i.e. 3D games) I
encountered some artifacting and distortion. Particularly in Battlefield 2,
Civililzation IV, and Oblivion, but also periodically in Vista itself. The
problems in-game were consistent at least, and the problems wihin Vista
itself were intermittant, occasionally resulting in a STOP error.

I tried a (borrowed) 7300GS card (which doesnt need auxiliary power) and it
had the same problems in-game, which suggests the problems were not to do
with the original 7900GTO not the PSU. Obviously the most likely candidates
were Vista and/or Nvidia's drivers.

I tried a few drivers from various sources but could only get a couple to
install and neither were any better than the default Vista drivers.

I decided to by a high-end ATI card for comparison, and I installed an
X1950Pro last night. Using only the default Vista drivers, I suddenly found
everything worked great. So it seems the nvidia drivers might be the problem
after all.

I was just wondering if anyone had success or similar problems with high-end
Nvidia cards in Vista (RTM). I've seen nothing on the NVidia site to
indicate when final versions of the drivers will be realised; I'd like to
keep the 7900GTO if I could but obviously it's not usable at the moment.

CJM

Christian Dreiner November 30th 06 12:23 PM

Nvidia Cards on Vista x64 (RTM)

Having same problems I found an article somewhere (here in the newsgroups?
dont`t remember). I tried and had success:

--- snip ---
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Direct3D]
"DisableThreadedDDI"=dword:00000001
--- snip ---

Copy the text into a textfile, rename it to *.reg and double click it.

regards,
Christian

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User November 30th 06 12:39 PM

Nvidia Cards on Vista x64 (RTM)

ATI appear to have released better drivers for their products than Nvidia,
but Nvidia will catch up..

CJM November 30th 06 12:51 PM

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote in message
ATI appear to have released better drivers for their products than Nvidia,
but Nvidia will catch up..

Of course... But when...?

If I could see light at the end of the tunnel, I'd keep my 7900GTO, and sell
my X1950Pro on when Nvidia finally get their act together.

CJM November 30th 06 12:52 PM

"Christian Dreiner" wrote in message
Having same problems I found an article somewhere (here in the newsgroups?
dont`t remember). I tried and had success:

--- snip ---
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Direct3D]
"DisableThreadedDDI"=dword:00000001
--- snip ---

Copy the text into a textfile, rename it to *.reg and double click it.

regards,
Christian

Interesting. What does this Threaded DDI do?

CJM

Man-wai Chang November 30th 06 02:07 PM

Nvidia Cards on Vista x64 (RTM)

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User wrote:
ATI appear to have released better drivers for their products than
Nvidia, but Nvidia will catch up..

The Catalyst is a big piece of junk in my opinion. I used ATI Tray Tool
instead of it.

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.10) Linux 2.6.18.3

Paul Smith November 30th 06 03:18 PM

"Man-wai Chang" wrote in message

The Catalyst is a big piece of junk in my opinion. I used ATI Tray Tool
instead of it.

Exactly that - opinion. Just from the user experiences on the groups here,
it's pretty clear ATI have far superior drivers to nVidia at this point.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Robert Moir December 2nd 06 11:02 AM

CJM wrote:
"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote in
message ...
ATI appear to have released better drivers for their products than
Nvidia, but Nvidia will catch up..

Of course... But when...?

If I could see light at the end of the tunnel, I'd keep my 7900GTO,
and sell my X1950Pro on when Nvidia finally get their act together.

Well the retail release of Vista, at the end of Jan, is probably their
target. I'd expect finished drivers by then. Or just keep the x1950 and move
on with your life, neither part is a DX10 card so you're not gaining
anything there...