Vista Banter

-   -   How to initialize new HDD? Not found anywhere (as admin). (http://www.vistabanter.com/123605-how-initialize-new-hdd-not-found-anywhere-admin.html)

Gerald Abrahamson May 15th 08 11:00 PM

How to initialize new HDD? Not found anywhere (as admin).

Vista 64 Home Premium.

Where is the tab/command to initialize (fdisk?) a new HDD?

I am logged in as Administrator (system says so) with full
control/permission.

I can see the hard drives in the Device Manager/Disk Drives.
All drives are "good" per the controller and I can see them
as physical devices on the computer.

They all show as "Not Initialized" when I ask each to
populate the Volumes info, and there is no obvious/apparent
way to do it. Nothing on the controller shows it either.

Tried "Simple New Volume" under Disk Management--
doesn't/won't work because drive is not initialized.... One
drive = one big partition = one drive letter.

propman May 16th 08 12:02 AM

How to initialize new HDD? Not found anywhere (as admin).

Gerald Abrahamson wrote in
:

Vista 64 Home Premium.

Where is the tab/command to initialize (fdisk?) a new HDD?

I am logged in as Administrator (system says so) with full
control/permission.

I can see the hard drives in the Device Manager/Disk Drives.
All drives are "good" per the controller and I can see them
as physical devices on the computer.

They all show as "Not Initialized" when I ask each to
populate the Volumes info, and there is no obvious/apparent
way to do it. Nothing on the controller shows it either.

Tried "Simple New Volume" under Disk Management--
doesn't/won't work because drive is not initialized.... One
drive = one big partition = one drive letter.

Have you checked out "Start - Administrative Tools - Computer Management
- Storage - Disk Management"?

Gerald Abrahamson May 16th 08 01:41 AM

How to initialize new HDD? Not found anywhere (as admin).

On Fri, 16 May 2008 00:02:02 GMT, propman
wrote:

Gerald Abrahamson wrote in
:

Vista 64 Home Premium.

Where is the tab/command to initialize (fdisk?) a new HDD?

I am logged in as Administrator (system says so) with full
control/permission.

I can see the hard drives in the Device Manager/Disk Drives.
All drives are "good" per the controller and I can see them
as physical devices on the computer.

They all show as "Not Initialized" when I ask each to
populate the Volumes info, and there is no obvious/apparent
way to do it. Nothing on the controller shows it either.

Tried "Simple New Volume" under Disk Management--
doesn't/won't work because drive is not initialized.... One
drive = one big partition = one drive letter.

Have you checked out "Start - Administrative Tools - Computer Management
- Storage - Disk Management"?

Start--yes.

But no Administrative Tools unless I do a search for it
(comes up under Accessories in Windows--long tree).

Then I get a repeat of what happened before--no "Initialize"
option (using your path from that point). Just "Simple New
Volume" or other options I don't want. I get this path by
simply right-clicking on "Computer" and then "Manage".

System says I am sole Administrator with full control/rights
and there are no other users (according to User Control
Panel, anyway).

propman May 16th 08 03:03 AM

How to initialize new HDD? Not found anywhere (as admin).

Gerald Abrahamson wrote in
:

On Fri, 16 May 2008 00:02:02 GMT, propman
wrote:

Gerald Abrahamson wrote in
m:

[...]

You can use Simple New Volume to partition your hard drive .....one big
one or multipartition.

From the beginning of your enquiry, it sounds like the new harddrive was
already multipartitioned.....each partition just needs to be formatted
(which you can also do from drive manager).

Here's a URL you might want to check out concerning initializing and
resizing partitions in Vista:

http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...47&mode=linear

Gerald Abrahamson May 16th 08 04:07 AM

How to initialize new HDD? Not found anywhere (as admin).

On Fri, 16 May 2008 03:03:01 GMT, propman
wrote:

Gerald Abrahamson wrote in
:

On Fri, 16 May 2008 00:02:02 GMT, propman
wrote:

Gerald Abrahamson wrote in
:

[...]

From the beginning of your enquiry, it sounds like the new harddrive was
already multipartitioned.....each partition just needs to be formatted
(which you can also do from drive manager).

Here's a URL you might want to check out concerning initializing and
resizing partitions in Vista:

http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...47&mode=linear

Finally found it whew !!.

The new drive is shown in two parts on a single line--not
one part.

In order to Initialize, you have to right-click on the
left-most block (Disk 0, Disk 1, etc)---NOT the area to the
right of that left-most square block (where I was clicking).

Now I have four HDDs formatting g, and no clue how long
THAT will take....

Thanks to all who contributed.

SUCCESS AT LAST (I hope !!).

propman May 16th 08 04:50 AM

How to initialize new HDD? Not found anywhere (as admin).

Gerald Abrahamson wrote in
:

Here's a URL you might want to check out concerning initializing and
resizing partitions in Vista:

http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...47&mode=linear

Finally found it whew !!.

Good to hear...... :-)

The new drive is shown in two parts on a single line--not
one part.

In order to Initialize, you have to right-click on the
left-most block (Disk 0, Disk 1, etc)---NOT the area to the
right of that left-most square block (where I was clicking).

Seems to be a common point of confusion from what I had been reading!

N][V July 5th 08 07:02 AM

Hey thanks for posting that. I had the same issue and couldn't figure out that i had to click on the left side as well.. (duh)

All is good. Glad i found this forum!

Gordon July 5th 08 11:48 AM

"N][V" wrote in message

All is good. Glad i found this forum!

And you would do even better subscribing to these newsgroups direct instead
of going through vistabanter which is NOT a forum, but leeches off these MS
newsgroups...

ebonypower October 8th 09 08:44 PM

How to initialize new HDD? Not found anywhere (as admin).

For all vista users looking to initialize their new hard drives. This
solution was extremely useful and so simple. I wasted hours trying to
figure this out clicking on the white space and getting that frustrating
error message before reading this thread and clicking on the correct
gray tab. This ridiculously simple solution should be more accessible
to the newbie. Just a thought. I know I'm not alone with this

--
ebonypower

lemur October 8th 09 08:54 PM

How to initialize new HDD? Not found anywhere (as admin).

Disk Management through Vista
Partition Manager
Partition Magic
Knoppix

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::