Portable Hard Drive Problems

Old May 23rd 08, 11:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dre Carter[_2_]

Default Portable Hard Drive Problems

ok so i will try again and try and get a response.

i have 3 portable hard drives:
a WD My Book
a Vantec
and a Noontec

all 3 are Sata to USB drives.

everytime i install one i get a:

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

A service installation section in this INF is invalid."

now these are plug and play for xp, but why not for vista? am i missing a
driver? because every time i install one i get the above message. what makes
it worse is that as far as i can tell is that there are no drivers for these
drives as they are plug and play! :P as you can see this is doing my head in.

I have always had problems with these drives and now that my desktop
computer (running XP which never had problems) has died, i can't get them to
run!

i am currently running Vista Home Premium (32 bit) with 1 gig of ram.

HELP
Old May 23rd 08, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
propman[_2_]

Dre Carter wrote:
ok so i will try again and try and get a response.

i have 3 portable hard drives:
a WD My Book
a Vantec
and a Noontec

all 3 are Sata to USB drives.

everytime i install one i get a:

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

A service installation section in this INF is invalid."

now these are plug and play for xp, but why not for vista? am i missing a
driver? because every time i install one i get the above message. what makes
it worse is that as far as i can tell is that there are no drivers for these
drives as they are plug and play! :P as you can see this is doing my head in.

Even though it's "plug 'n play" the applicable usb drivers for each unit
that is hooked up to a system must be present and installed properly.
Now as you state you have no drivers for the harddrive units but Vista
should come with either generic USB drivers or specific drivers from the
manufacturer. I would suspect that Vista is trying to install the
drivers (from it's collection of usb drivers on your system hard drive)
when you hook up the external units....it's reading the INF file to see
what drivers are needed but it can't get past a certain section in the
INF due to an error....therefore it barfs and generates the error
message you are seeing.

I have always had problems with these drives

Typo???

and now that my desktop
computer (running XP which never had problems) has died, i can't get them to
run!

Here's a similar situation to yours which I think maybe applicable to
solving your problem.

quote on

I could fix this problem
by tushar43 - 6/20/07 12:00 PM
Richard N

I had similar problem while installing USB network device on my machine
with windows XP. I was getting same error "a service installation
section in this inf is invalid"

What i did was i opened the .inf driver file, went to "XP" section of
the driver skipping 98,ME, 2000 portions and then saw a line
"ServiceBinary = %12%\usb8023.sys" when i went to
windows\system32\drivers folder, i saw that there was an existing file
usb8023x.sys so i replaced the line in the .inf driver file which i had
(of course backed up original one) and changed the line to usb8023x.sys
from usb8023.sys and then tried providing the same driver again and
Wooohaaa.. it worked. Right now my devices works awesome.

This is 100% working fix, let me know if it works for you which i am
sure will.

Report offensive post
Post 5 of 9
woked for my issue - "service installation section invalid"
by destoo - 7/1/07 5:38 PM

Worked for me.
I'm using a "stripped to the bone" version of XP Pro, and it's been
happening on my camera driver. (Kodak C633 Easyshare)
It was looking for usbscan.sys.
I had copied it to the /system32/ folder, but the %12% stands for
/system32/drivers

worked like a charm. (for my problem. Thanks!)

Report offensive post
Post 6 of 9
How do I open the .inf file for the driver
by tstewar - 1/28/08 10:48 AM

How do I open the .inf file for the driver?

Report offensive post
Post 7 of 9
Open .inf file
by onzey - 2/2/08 2:04 PM

Right click on the file and then click Open.

Report offensive post

quote off

Old June 26th 08, 02:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pjay24

I have same problems as Dre Carter with Vista Home Premium, service pack 1.
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
A service installation section in this INF is invalid."

Seems that I too am unable to Install my new external hard drive SimpleDrive
SP-U35/320, or for that matter run kodak easy share camera, or mp3) thru
computer USB 2.0 ports. VIsta says I need to update drivers, but nothing
will update or download (even with disk in DVD drive).

I read thru thread and suggested fixes are referenced for XP, but not for
Vista. Are fixes any different for Vista? Seems that Vista does not have
explorer as earlier Window OPS, so how do I go about finding related .inf
files in Vista?