Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

Half Life 2 Engine Problem

Old May 24th 08, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Soulie

Default Half Life 2 Engine Problem

I have been having a problem with "Half Life 2 Engine" When ever I try to
play CS:S (Why is this crashing because of HL2 Engine?) I start playing for
awile everything is perfect and then a random crash. Vista tries to find the
problem and comes up with this: Problem caused by Half-Life 2 Game Engine

This problem was caused by Half-Life 2 Game Engine, which was created by
Valve Corporation.

Microsoft has been unable to contact the manufacturer and has no further
information available at this time. How can I fix this? It's very annoying to
randomly crash every little bit.

Old May 24th 08, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Dustin Harper

CS:S is powered by the Half Life 2 Engine (Source Engine). If you can get in
and play for a while, I'd suspect over heating of either the CPU or the
video card. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation and make sure all the
dust is blown out of the heatsinks in your computer.

Also, make sure your video drivers are up to date. And Steam automatically
updates CS:S, so no worries there.

--

Dustin Harper

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

Old May 25th 08, 12:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Carl

That's also a problem that I have with HL2 on Vista as well, is your Vista
64 or 32 bit? I can also tell you that it is not caused by components
overheating, as my system doesn't overheat.

Old May 26th 08, 10:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Patrician

"Carl" wrote in message
That's also a problem that I have with HL2 on Vista as well, is your Vista
64 or 32 bit? I can also tell you that it is not caused by components
overheating, as my system doesn't overheat.

Bit a screwed logic there. You suffer from Source Engine crashes and
your PC doesn't overheat, therefore the OP's isn't overheating.

While you are both suffering Source Engine crashes there maybe two
completely different reasons. To the OP make sure your running all the
latest drivers for your hardware. Not the ones supplied by Windows Updates
but the proper ones supplied by your hardware manufacturer. Make sure you
have Vista updated. Download and run Memtest86, for at least five hours and
see if you get any errors. A high proportion of random crashes can be
attributed to bad memory.

Trev

Old May 27th 08, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
fakeside

Hi!

I'm getting the same problem. I have Vista Ultimate 32bits , and
everytime i run HL2, it loads, i press new game, select the first part
of game and then when loading is done and appears the "Half-Life 2"
text, the game crashes, with the same error.
But I only have this error with HL2, i can play CS:S. Drivers updated
and the CPU and videocard don't overheat.

What should I do?

Sorry for my not good english :S

--
fakeside
Old May 29th 08, 02:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
luizmp

Guys.. I just bought a new PC... and I'm having CRASHES with HLČ...

Running it on Windows Vista Ultimate x64... all the lastest drivers and
NO overheating here... The problem is.. I can play for some time... but
suddenly the game crashes... I have to restart cuz it crashes
everything... blocking PC access...

And some times, when I try to exit HLČ (without any craches 'till) it
just stop reponding...

I thought it was my PC.. but since u guys are having problems aswell...
what do u think?

Here it's:

C2D E8400 (both at 3GHz and 3.6GHz - OC'd)
G. Skill 4Gb DDR800
ECS 8800GTS 512
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
Corsair 550W Power Supply
WD 80Gb SATA

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

--
luizmp
Old May 30th 08, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

luizmp wrote in
:

Guys.. I just bought a new PC... and I'm having CRASHES with HLČ...

the game crashes... I have to restart cuz it crashes
everything... blocking PC access...

And some times, when I try to exit HLČ (without any craches 'till) it
just stop reponding...

C2D E8400 (both at 3GHz and 3.6GHz - OC'd)
G. Skill 4Gb DDR800
ECS 8800GTS 512
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
Corsair 550W Power Supply
WD 80Gb SATA

First off, new problem, start a new topic.

Second, this "New" PC, was it a custom built PC, or is it a name brand
like HP? 80Gig HD, no one uses those anymore, smallest now a days seems
to be 250gig, so I'll guess custom built. Did whoever you bought it from
guarantee the work? do extensive burn-in/stability testing?

Well dispite no overheating your hardware may still be failing.
defective hardware may behave like this, runs fine until put under
stress, like when playing a game, then it eventually freaks and Windows
shuts off to prevent further damage. Since you're overclocking, there's
that "you may have damaged the CPU when trying to determine the maximum
clock setting you can use" problem. I'm not going to accuse anyone of
anything, but I've seen enough fried CPUs in my day to not dismiss it.

If it's not that, then have you tried other games yet? See if you can
reproduce the problem on something like Bioshock, or whatever other
games you may have on your system (non steam)

Updated the mobo bios?

I suspect you've thought of all this already. I would look for a GOOD
system stress test program, maybe something that runs outside of windows
(The Geek Squad uses a program called PC-Check by Eurosoft along with
Memtest that just about everyone uses.) stress the hell out of your
system and see if any errors come up.

Could just be half-life, but i've been playing half-life and portal on a
core 2 quad with no issues so far.
--
-A.
Old May 30th 08, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
luizmp

'Andy [YaYa Wrote:
;731222']luizmp wrote in
:

[...]

Well, it's not exactly a "new" problem... it was a HL2 problem, so, no
reason for posting again... right? :P
It's a custom one... I'm using this 80GB HDD 'cuz it was a spare... and
since the game is EXCLUSIVE for games.. there's no need for putting any
of my 500GB HDD's...
But I think I figureout the problem... the VGA was running OC'd by
MISTAKE!! Can u believe this?
I acted like a fool... sorry guys!

--
luizmp
Old June 2nd 08, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

luizmp wrote in
:

Could just be half-life, but i've been playing half-life and portal
on a
core 2 quad with no issues so far.
--
-A.

Well, it's not exactly a "new" problem... it was a HL2 problem, so,
no reason for posting again... right? :P
It's a custom one... I'm using this 80GB HDD 'cuz it was a spare...
and since the game is EXCLUSIVE for games.. there's no need for
putting any of my 500GB HDD's...
But I think I figureout the problem... the VGA was running OC'd by
MISTAKE!! Can u believe this?
I acted like a fool... sorry guys!

phleze, we still love ya.

80gigs for games? damn I have like a 640 gig raid-0 just for my game
installs.

--
-A.